Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 02:49 AM

Default Disguised straight on turn - more aggression needed?

Villain just sat down 10 hands or so ago, no significant reads.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Hero ($27.95)
Button ($25.30)
SB ($27.01)
BB ($15.65)
UTG ($26.78)
MP ($37.72)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.10.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.75</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) calls $0.65, BB calls $0.50.
Felt like getting some value if I hit a draw. I probably do this with a hand like KTs only 5% of the time.

Flop: ($2.25) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1</font>, SB folds, BB calls $1.
Backdoor 2nd nut flush draw, gutshot nut straight draw. A semibluff is good here. A bit too small, though?

Turn: ($4.25) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>, BB calls $2.
I have the nuts and he min-raises me. I min-raise him back, but I probably could have bet higher.

River: ($16.25) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $8</font>, BB calls $7.90 (All-In).
No longer have the nuts, but his raise when the jack hit the turn didn't make me think of a flush.

Final Pot: $32.15
Old 09-06-2005, 02:54 AM

Default Re: Disguised straight on turn - more aggression needed?

Make it like $1.25 pre-flop, $2.5 on the flop, just push the turn when he check/raises you.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:09 AM

Preflop is fine, especially at 6max. I would open raise KTs there every time.

My standard play on the flop here is to check behind and take a free card. You have a couple of weak draws that you'd like to improve. You really don't want to get checkraised here. Also, that flop probably hit one of your opponents. If they check again on 4th, a bet there might pick it up. If you're going to bet, make a PSB.

Turn is very unprofessional. First bet is alright, I would usually bet more but you want to milk some value out of the BB and you're not sure how strong his hand is. After he check minraises, you should push. He'll call with most made hands and he'll fold a flush draw - exactly what you want.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:09 AM

A little more aggression would not have hurt, I agree. The guy turned over AA, so he wouldn't have folded to ANY raises preflop. Postflop's another story, though he probably had me on AQ.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:26 AM

You should be raising this preflop nearly 100% of the time. You should bet this flop more or not at all. You should push this turn when he raises you.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:41 PM

that turn is terrible. Bet 3, if he miniraises your at 6 and you can easily push the last 8 in with the nuts.