Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 05:30 AM

Default Re: Roomate is threating to kick me out.

[ QUOTE ]
(its a couple boyfriend/girlfriend)

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is your biggest problem. Why the hell do you want to live with a couple? Not only does this scream loser to any girl you bring home, it also must suck in more ways than this specific incident. I've had friends who have gotten into similar situations, and both times it got extremely awkward for them. If you need to have roommates, make it people who aren't involved with each other (unless it's two hot lipstick lesbians...then you do all the chores or choirs you have to do in order to watch and participate).

[ QUOTE ]
All I do all day is sit on the computer all day and play online.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this is difficult for some people to get their minds around. When I first started playing poker for a living, my gf (who I live with) was in school, having a really hectic semester. When my being home a large percentage of the time did not translate to my doing 90% of the house chores, she became silently frustrated by this and kinda treated me like crap for a week or so until she told me what was on her mind. When she did, I had to explain to her that while I was technically home, I was still working quite diligently and would not be available to start doing her share of our joint housework. Anyway, being an intelligent person who cares about me, she realized what I was saying had merit, acquiesced, and life went back to normal as she accepted that what used to be a hobby that made me some extra money was now my full-time job...and the fact that it was a job I could do from home did not make it fair for me to get more work to do.

Nevertheless...for someone who doesn't try to "get" poker and all that goes into becoming good enough to make serious money at it...and/or for someone who doesn't care enough about you to take the time to wrap their mind around the fact that playing 8 tables at a time is not the same as playing Madden Football...these can be difficult things to swallow, especially when they go to their crappy, low-wage jobs all day long and you have more money than them while doing something you enjoy. Add in the fact that these people are seriously self-medicating, and it makes it even more likely that they're not gonna "get it." Plus, since they are a couple, it very easily could be that they're ready to live AS a couple and are merely looking for a "righteous" excuse so that they're not the jerkwads that kicked you out for no good reason.

Bottom line...unless they're much more reasonable than you've made them sound...and probably even if they are...it's time to get out.