Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2005, 12:04 PM

Default Re: I See Four Levels of Christianity

[ QUOTE ]
What is this preoccupation with Christianity?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's very simple. Sklansky's trying to show the undecided that Christians are illogical idiots. The problem is that using math he can't prove God doesn't exist--so in lieu of that, he's looking for lapses in Christian logic.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:15 PM

Didn’t Danny Negreanu just become born again Christian? Thought I read something about that.
Didn’t Danny challenge David S. or something?
Didn’t Danny say something about it being better to know your opponent, e.g. if he just got divorced (or if he just became born again) ?
Is someone gearing up for a big match by finding out what makes Christian tick?
Old 09-05-2005, 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well, I was just thinking about those who lived before Christ was born and those who have never ever heard anything about Jesus. Yeah, I hope God gives them a get our of jail free card. Not saying He will , just that I hope He does.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Bible says God is a just judge and that he is the best father etc etc.

With that in mind, one could assume that God will arbitrarily judge each indidividual according to many factors that related to them and their time if they haven't heard the gospel.

Or he might be in a bad mood that day and send them all to hell, who knows?

Cheers,
SDM

[/ QUOTE ]

Also the fact that free will invalidates predestination. You cannot have free will being predestined to go to heaven.

It is also my belief that while god has infinite knowledge of what is happening now he does not know the choice of each individual. If he did, is there really free will?

I think each individual makes each individual choice on his own. He's not predestined. Who would want to be predestined anyway, its so lame. If there is a heaven it should be who you are and your beliefs or non-beliefs that get u there.

I suppose there is a way to find out if u are predestined or not. If there is let me know, so if my name is not on the list I can just say [censored] it and do whatever I want.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What is this preoccupation with Christianity?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's very simple. Sklansky's trying to show the undecided that Christians are illogical idiots. The problem is that using math he can't prove God doesn't exist--so in lieu of that, he's looking for lapses in Christian logic.

[/ QUOTE ]

A non-violent man who hears voices in his head is insane. A non-violent man who claims he talks to god is not insane and and society just shrugs its shoulders.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is also my belief that while god has infinite knowledge of what is happening now he does not know the choice of each individual. If he did, is there really free will?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never heard this one before.

Does this belief have any text basis or is just a thought?

Either way please elaborate.

Cheers,
SDM
Old 09-05-2005, 06:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never heard this one before.

Does this belief have any text basis or is just a thought?

Either way please elaborate.

Cheers,
SDM

[/ QUOTE ]

Its late so how well I will explain is to be seen. But in the brief, this is an idea Ive always had since I was a kid actually. Say there is a god that knows everything in the universe...the universe is orderly, pretty consistent in nature. Say u are an infinite being, u know everything...this is beyond the scope of human thinking, but if u know everything, can create anything, why not throw some uncertainty in the mix.

So u create humans. You give them feel will. They make a mistake. And if the events in the Bible are true u guide them early on, help build them up...have moses teach them the ten commandments , Jesus "Love your neighbor", and if u belive in Bahai's religion send Mohammed The Prophet and teach "love your fellow nations" etc. U guide them, but they always have free will. That you, while all knowing, there is still uncertainty in the mix. They have a choice to do good or bad. You give them the choice of consequence.

As God, u can know the individual so well to know his choice, but what God knows is only from what the individual does by choice, so as God u can "deduce" what the individual might do by what the individual knows, but it is not entirely set or certain and God's deduction is nothing more than a hypothosis of what he knows from what the individual has done.

Predestination on the other hand is an individual on a railroad, even before birth, his life has been planned out. He is a train on a track even before he's conceived. If this is true, where is the freedom of choice or free will. If his actions are predeterminded, did he ever really have a choice to begin with?

This might be in text dunno, I will look around, but this stuff was just kind of pieced together from thoughts Ive had for quite a while. There is more detail to it, but that is basics.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:25 AM

also its pretty clear that Quantum Mechanics disproves "pre-determinism" imo

Anyone who needs a brush up on quatum physics look here: Elegant Universe (this is a link to the show that is stored online for viewing)
Old 09-05-2005, 07:40 PM

interesting accusation. That is however the paradox we deal with in religion, faith defies logic. It is an oxymoron if you will, in that logic seeks to prove or disprove by scientific mothodology and religion requires belief without proof, hence the decription of faith- beleiving without seeing.
In realizing the vast difference between the two, one could easily see how a well educated intellectual person could have problems with religion seeing as how they are based on a foundation of opposing rational thinking. One, being science, seeks to prove by research and proof, the other seeks faith in the paranormal on the very basis of no proof.
Ahh, the ironic human struggle to understand....
Old 09-05-2005, 09:13 PM

Default Re: I See Four Levels of Christianity.

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] it's very clear there is only one acceptable christian: you name the passage; everyone knows it; even jews:

that whosoever believeth in me shall not perish, but shall have eternal life....

even the thief who died on the cross besides jesus was saved; regardless of what kinda life he lived; he believed and "you will join me in my father's house";

clearly; without the crucifiction and resurrection; christianity would not exist....

it's that simple...

jmho

gl

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]