Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 12:11 PM

Default Re: QUAD KINGS on flop. how do u extract the most chips???!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Ugh, you guys are SO simple minded. Lead out with a bet that appears to be a continuation/probe bet. He'll be thinking to himself "he doesn't have a King, if he had a King, why would he bet????"

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-05-2005, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ugh, you guys are SO simple minded. Lead out with a bet that appears to be a continuation/probe bet. He'll be thinking to himself "he doesn't have a King, if he had a King, why would he bet????"

He'll push with his pocket 10's, guaranteed, w00t!

p.s. You could push all-in too, make it look like you don't want to be called. This is if you're against a thinking player who you believe might try to play sherriff against you.

Then again, most of the time a slowplay so they can catch up a little is the best option. But being tricky by betting can throw them off too.

[/ QUOTE ]

This advice is dead-on. Let's pretend for a moment we're MP1 shall we? BB villain makes a pot-sized raise into a field of 5 limpers including UTG and UTG+1. The flop comes and we check to villian and he...checks behind?!? The WORST hand I put him on now is a strong King. This is the perfect flop for AA, QQ, JJ, AQ to make the standard continuation bet to try and fold me out.

Just make your standard continuation bet as you always do (3/4 pot) and if MP1 feels like coming along, so be it. Trying to get tricky with a monster on such a drawless board as this is just bad. Don't do it. Instead, try to make it look like you want him to go away. If he calls your flop bet, then maybe you can get cute and check behind on the turn. Make it look like to took your shot on the flop and he's smooth called you with his K and you're onto him. 80-90% of the time this will trigger a bluff on the river, which is of course when you drop the hammer.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:23 PM

ckeck the flop, and I would probably ck the turn as well if need be and bet some small amount on river.

You have to hope that he hits something on turn or will make a move.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:32 PM

Be the villain. You get reraised and you call and the flop comes KKx and they check. SCARY.

You gotta bet the flop strong just like you would any other time, you'll really put an opponent with 99 or something here to the test. I guarantee that you will get more value out of your hands by doing this. More terrible cards can come like a queen or an ace that can kill a lot of the action you can generate on the flop as well, so you really dont want to get a free card when there are hands that will pay you off now. Bet like 350. It looks like a standard bet but it also gives your opponent the impression that if he jams it on you he has folding equity.

To all of you who say check the flop, you need to think of each hand as part of a bigger picture.... One where you are hopefully raising and betting a lot preflop and on the flop and where your opponents will have trouble dealing with your bets. You let people get away easy by checking this flop. If you are a lot shorter stacked than this, fine, check the flop, let your opponent pot commit himself. But in this case, make a big pot for your big hand.

-Jason
Old 09-05-2005, 02:44 PM

This is incredibly buyin dependent.

In a monkey-donk low stakes game, a limp call from MP1 looks like some loose passive tool. So I make a stupid flop lead for 100 (which he absolutely calls), then check the turn so that the gears in his head start thinking he can win the pot. If he bets, I call and lead the river. If he checks I lead the river stronger for 300.

IF its a reasonable buy in game, say 50+, I would make a pretty strong flop lead and see what I can get 99-JJ to pay me. You'll be hard pressed to get another dime from AQ type hands, so here just listen to strassa's post and bet hard. Conveniently, the best way to disguise the nuts here is to get more money in the pot.

Everett