Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 09:42 AM

Default Not sure about my line with JJ

I've not been getting value from my sets when flush draws show, so I've been changing my play a bit. Is this line horrid? I was thinking with the smallish flop bet to simply build the pot and take it down on the turn.

Pretty sure the fold was ok as its hard not to put villain on at least a king. 30+3 here.

Love some tips or bashing.

Thanks

P

***** Hand History for Game 2655279501 *****
15/30 TOURNEY TEXAS HOLD'EM GAME TABLE (NL) (TOURNAMENT 15457190) - SUN SEP 04 22:51:08 EDT 2005
Table Table 11107 (Real Money) -- Seat 10 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: sb (690)
Seat 2: hero (800)
Seat 3: utg (810)
Seat 4: utg+1 (560)
Seat 5: mp1(775)
Seat 6: villain (965)
Seat 7: lp (525)
Seat 8: lp2 (1205)
Seat 9: co (740)
Seat 10: button (930)
sb posts small blind (10)
hero posts big blind (15)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to hero [ Jc, Js ]
utg folds.
utg+1 folds.
mp folds.
villain calls (15)
lp folds.
lp2 folds.
co folds.
button folds.
sb calls (5)
hero raises (30) to 45
villain calls (30)
sb folds.
** Dealing Flop ** : [ Jh, Td, Ad ]
hero bets (40)
villain raises (80) to 80
hero raises (235) to 275
villain calls (195)
** Dealing Turn ** : [ Qd ]
hero checks.
villain bets (500)
hero folds.
** Summary **
Main Pot: 1155
Board: [ Jh Td Ad Qd ]
Old 09-05-2005, 09:50 AM

Default Re: Not sure about my line with JJ

Bigger preflop raise. As for your turn play you have to fold it sucks that the turn card filled every draw, and you are not getting odds for a board pair.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:57 AM

I see your thoughts but I prefer bigger bets pf and on the flop. You want more money in on the flop so anyone with diamonds or a gutshot is getting horrible odds to call, and maybe you can get an A to overplay their hand. On the turn, I think you should blocking bet, as checking gives up the pot to what could easily be two pair or TPNK.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:09 AM

Agree with you about preflop. I usually pop to 60-75 in that case at the 30's, but at the same time, I take a premium hand and win 30 chips worth of blinds with that move most of the time. I think that not playing my 10's to QQ's for enough value is hurting me long term.

As far as the turn goes, I figured I was dead, and putting any more chips in the middle would be wasteful as I can't see him laying down anything that just fillled. I likely can't even push him off the straight.

Thanks

P
Old 09-05-2005, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Agree with you about preflop. I usually pop to 60-75 in that case at the 30's, but at the same time, I take a premium hand and win 30 chips worth of blinds with that move most of the time. I think that not playing my 10's to QQ's for enough value is hurting me long term.

As far as the turn goes, I figured I was dead, and putting any more chips in the middle would be wasteful as I can't see him laying down anything that just fillled. I likely can't even push him off the straight.

Thanks

P

[/ QUOTE ]

Given flop play, a flush seems unlikely. The only hands I see that beat you are AA and AK. Neither seems likely. I think you're looking at Ax.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:31 PM

I've seen AA limp a few times in the 50's and 30's lately, but its still pretty rare. I put this guy on KQ trying to get my money in, then getting nervous when a split or a 4 diamond board became likley on the turn.

His turn bet made me think that he was trying to push me off, with Ax possibly as you suggest, but I didn't think it was worth risking the tourney on this hand.

P