Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 09:42 AM

Default A prelude and a hand

10-20 party im a little drunk after playing a little beirut, so playing even more crazy than usual and it would be really hard to fold any hand vs me.

First hand I am in the sb 3 handed. Button makes it 60 I make it 300 with aces, he calls. Flop 943 two diamonds. I bet 1k he insta all ins for 3.5k more I have him covered and I call he has JJ I win. So a nearly 10k pot with one pair happened before this hand....

Button folds I limp in from sb with 9Ts flop QJ8 two hearts. I bet 45 he calls. Turn J. (Qh Jh were on flop). I bet 150 he makes it 450 with 1.5k behind. What's the plan here and do I consider getting away from this hand? I hate limped pots I shoulda raised preflop, not quite sure why I didnt because I'll raise there about 9-10 times 3-handed.

-Jason
Old 09-05-2005, 11:00 AM

Default Re: A prelude and a hand

seems pretty unlikely his full here given no pfr and no raise on flop, I think his likely hand is something like J9 or JT. I'd probably put him in or raise to 1200ish to get him commited before scary river card drops.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:32 AM

Against this player and with this draw heavy board I have to think you're still good here since he's shown he doesn't mind getting all in with very, very marginal hands. He'd likely have raised any pocket pair preflop in position against a limper and certainly reraised any 2 pair on the flop on that board as draw heavy as it is on the flop, if he's played it tricky then so be it. He's likely just got the J or a flush and straight draws so I really don't think you can give him position on the river if a potential higher straight or H comes, so push and hope for a call from either of those hands and of course hoping that he hasn't filled up J8.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:33 AM

Push.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:46 AM

I would not consider getting away from this hand given your image, based on the history he shouldn't be slowplaying a set on the flop with this board...therefore I overbet push. If he has a boat, so be it - I would guess he will call with TPTK and trips J's no kicker if you do this as a semi-bluff with hearts and/or straight draw now and again.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:59 AM

Get away here. THe boat is just too likely. And even if it isnt you cant call an all in on the river? Can you? Perhaps if you were drunk. With a board like that a straight just doesnt look that good. There is a heart draw a possible boat and redraws to a better straight. Easy fold.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Easy fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can this be an easy fold HU in the blinds? You are just going to get run over by thinking like this.

PS. Seeing as it was posted, I imagine he did lose this time.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:24 PM

Just because villain is playing it like a flopped set doesn't mean he has one....look at the previous history, Strassa is very LAG (hopefully pushing lots of draws)
I agree with Yeti, you will get run over 3 handed thinking like this.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:22 PM

My thinking was that he may lay down a draw to my push but may bluff the river with that missed draw or pure bluff or whatever. I also felt if I pushed that he might lay down a queen and that I am just praying he has a jack or will call off all his chips with a queen.

There are not a ton of hands I'm behind though that would make sense for a normal opponent, but I'm not sure if pushing is best.

What's your argument for pushing?

-Jason
Old 09-05-2005, 02:54 PM

3-handed you're too strong to fold, especially with your table image.....have you seen him take this line before?.....what hands does he like to flat call the flop with?.....what about raise the turn?.....how often does he pure bluff?.....

it sounds like calling and then check/calling the river is fine here.....there are tons of hands he will bet and fewer that he'll call a push with (that you beat anyway)....let him bet it for you.....the only way I can see a push being optimal is if you know this guy to be the type to semi-bluff turn raise with his draws......3-handed is very situational and specific to the moment/psychology/gear everyone is in......