Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 03:58 AM

Default Re: Best RPG Ever - Nominations

I hope I was not alone in loving this game.

Sword Of Vermilion for Sega. I need to get that game again.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:01 AM

I'm still addicted to Shining Force I and II... What system did III come out for? Was that Sega CD or something? I never got to experience III, and will have to someday... FF7..absolutely bad-ass... No mention in the entire thread about Star Ocean? I liked it... Not that they're on the very top of my list, but hats off to the Dragon Warrior series on NES that got me into RPGs...
Old 09-05-2005, 08:07 AM

Shining Force III was on the Saturn. It was split up into 3 episodes and only one came out in the US. The other two are available as (expensive ass) imports...The episoes tell the story from the viewpoints of 3 different characters.

And Shining Force III is pretty awesome. I may actually go into my basement and dig out my old Saturn system and play Shining Force III and Panzer Dragoon Saga (another great RPG). I think PDS sells for a bit of coin on ebay now too...
Old 09-05-2005, 12:22 PM

PC: Fallout 1/2
Console: original Final Fantasy on the NES.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:16 PM

All you console boys make me feel so old, and I'm not. (I don't think, anyway).

My best, in vague chronological order:

Bard's Tale (orginal, not crappy console version)
Ultima 7
Betrayal at Krondor
FF7
Baldur's Gate II
Old 09-05-2005, 03:39 PM

The decline of final fantasy games is only rivaled by the Yankees fall.

I started to play the newer ones and was bored silly. Too much story line for my liking. At the beginning you should be killing blue slimes, not watch a movie about stuff.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:43 PM

Diablo II LoD sure got me hooked..
Old 09-05-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm still addicted to Shining Force I and II... What system did III come out for? Was that Sega CD or something? I never got to experience III, and will have to someday... FF7..absolutely bad-ass... No mention in the entire thread about Star Ocean? I liked it... Not that they're on the very top of my list, but hats off to the Dragon Warrior series on NES that got me into RPGs...

[/ QUOTE ]

SFIII was a Saturn game that like five people played. It was split into three different games, each from another character's perspective. And the three characters each had cameos and intertwining storylines, despite each having their own parties and main quests. Basically the coolest idea of all time. Unfourtunately, only the first episode was released in the U.S. and I don't know Japanese. I'm still pissed about that. The episode we did get was easily the best game in the series, and that's saying something. Oh, and the whole game was a sequel to Shining the Holy Ark, which was a standard style RPG for the Saturn which I loved. The main character of episode three was actually the grown up version of a child NPC from Ark who's parents were killed by the Vandals. Someone really needs to translate those next two episodes and get them on an emulator...

I played Star Ocean 2, and I really liked it. The item synthesis stuff in there was lots of fun, and I liked the battle system. Old school Enix (before it was absorbed into corporate RPG machine INC., AKA Square EA) RPGs can't be bad. Star Ocean: Till the End of Time just came out to pretty good reviews recently, but I don't think I'll get a chance to play it, like so many games these days. Times like this I wish I could be a 15 year old high school kid willing to fail English to build up my characters forever.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:55 PM

No mention of Morrowind yet? Seems to be the only game that really nailed the roleplaying aspect.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I played Star Ocean 2, and I really liked it. The item synthesis stuff in there was lots of fun, and I liked the battle system. Old school Enix (before it was absorbed into corporate RPG machine INC., AKA Square EA) RPGs can't be bad. Star Ocean: Till the End of Time just came out to pretty good reviews recently, but I don't think I'll get a chance to play it, like so many games these days. Times like this I wish I could be a 15 year old high school kid willing to fail English to build up my characters forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm beginning to think our gaming experiences are pretty similar Phoenix [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]