Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 05:20 AM

Default Re: Open letter to myself: admitting my shame

If you want to cut your NL variance, tighten up preflop, make fewer big bluffs and big calls. Playing marginal hands, making moves, and calling potential huge bluffs are the aspects of the game that most demand perfect reads, so if you're not yet confident in your NL reads, limiting these plays will prove +EV.

I've noticed you making a lot of pot-sized bets. You may want to size 'em a little smaller. 2/3 pot prevents you from getting pot-stuck as much while still keeping the initiative, showing strength, and charging draws. Getting allin a lot is a dangerous way to play NL.

Also, consider this mantra: don't make bluff bets any bigger than is necessary to do the job.

Good luck, and don't give up on NL yet.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The same should go for any kind of mental problem regarding the game, playing while drinking, not in the right state of mind, etc. It takes a lot of skill to master all that to become the best player you can be, and to be able to play your A game most of the time you're playing. It's not just some kind of personality type, it's basically a lot of work.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, but only some persons can do this work.

Some people can work their way out of a problem (gambling addicts, alcoholism, tilt) and some cant. Of course everyone wants to belong to the first group, but we cant choose which of those two groups we belong to.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The same should go for any kind of mental problem regarding the game, playing while drinking, not in the right state of mind, etc. It takes a lot of skill to master all that to become the best player you can be, and to be able to play your A game most of the time you're playing. It's not just some kind of personality type, it's basically a lot of work.

[/ QUOTE ] yes, but only some persons can do this work.

Some people can work their way out of a problem (gambling addicts, alcoholism, tilt) and some cant. Of course everyone wants to belong to the first group, but we cant choose which of those two groups we belong to.

[/ QUOTE ]

But that's a circular argument against any kind of what we usually call "skill". You can always say that some people belong to a certain group that "can" do it, and some don't. The problem is, that there are many things that people just like to see in that way, because it makes it easier for them to believe that they are either born with the ability or not. Of course, there are some things that are based on pure talent, but many other things, including the ability to tilt less, are things in which work and practice (sometimes with guidance) can help a lot. But it is definitely not easy. It's easier to say: "well, I don't have the right personality for it".

I agree that at the bottom line you'll find people that can achieve much higher levels of "non-tilt" than others, but that doesn't mean that those others can't improve significantly on that area if they tried.

Edit: I'm aware that what I'm saying here is in fact "not-provable", and circular in itself, since you'll always be able to say that the ones who improve had the ability to improve (in exactly the amount they improved) to begin with. But then you can't discuss this subject, or any question about studying and improving, at all. And my point is that there is value in practicing, regardless of your personality type.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:05 AM

1800GAMBLER,

As someone who has recently been forced from NO, allow me to say thank you for donating some of your earnings to charitys that are helping people in my city. Rest assured people like you do not go unappreciated.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:43 AM

Has anyone given serious thought that some small edges aren't worth pushing for most people since most people can never get away from results oriented thinking?

Hypothetical scenario: If you can play with a certain style that has a winrate of 7BB/100, but results in you having some real bad days, which sometimes cause you to get sick of poker, and then play on semi tilt at 4BB/100 while you're still stuck. What if this results in you being displeased with poker and not working on your game, or possible not playing as many hours? What if the stress leads to you needing to smoke to unwind, or possibly smoke more?

The other option is playing somewhat more ABC in a style that doesn't provide wild fluctation, but moreimportantly doesn't force you into tough spots again and again. Could the lack of tilt and stress result in other things that give you an overall bigger win? More desire to learn? Willingness to play more hours? Playing your best more often?

I hate panty wearing weak tighties as much as the next guy. I just think some of the extreme bounds of winning play is not winning for all players, or even most players, even if they understand the play and are capable of doing it well. We are not robots, we applaud these posts for people admitting they are human and are not capable of playing A game 24/7, this concept extends further than most people give credit for.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even my A game isn't good enough for 25/50 nl right now, eventually i'll do some 25/50 nl again though. I will do some party 100/200 and 50/100 though. I'm just extremely hyped about getting some solid winning hours in at 15/30 30/60 limit atm.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would really like to see you contribute in the limit forums.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:13 AM

While it's good that you are tracking the #'s and I'm sure you probably know this but those sample sizes are so small as to be virtually meaningless. I've had tons of 2.5k hand stretches where I'm running good and I think I'm a poker god, then I get shelled for another 2k and my #'s turn out virtually the same. 10k is a minimum milestone for a relatively TAG player to determine an approximate winrate, it's twice that for a LAG.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:12 AM

It is way too deterministic a thing to say that people cannot change who they are. As anyone interested in psychology [which should include all poker players, esp. NL ones] could tell you: people are very versatile creatures. Especially mentally. The whole concept of cognitive behavioral therapy is based on the changability of people's internal attributions.

I.e. You believe everything bad happens to you and only to you and your self-esteem suffers for that reason. CBT would encourage you to examine these instances of bad moments and find other reasons for them happening. You will soon start seeing that other people too have badbeats, maybe the other guy legitimately outdrew you because your slowplaying gave him odds to do so. Maybe God doesn't hate just you, but other people also.

It takes a certain flexibility of mind to grasp these weapons of mental warfare (point of view taking, relativity, seeing life as one long pokergame, being thoroughly honest with yourself) on your own. That is certainly a skill. That doesnt mean that it cannot be acquired...