Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2005, 09:03 PM

Default Turning Stone 1/2 NL dilemma

I was at Turning Stone last night when this hand unfolded. Villian (~275) has been playing virtually every hand calling raises with draws, bottom pair, 2nd pair, etc. Villian isn't just a calling station, and has been raising a lot too with everything from top pair to nothing. The villians VPIP would probably be around 85%. Villian recently doubled up when he hit a runner-runner flush against someone who flopped a straight. The best way to classify villian is a total maniac.

Ok, now to the hand. I (~250) was on the button with AKs. EP raiser makes it 10, MP calls, villian calls, I reraise to 40. EP and MP fold, villians calls, heads up. Pot is ~103. Flop comes down A-8-6 rainbow (suits don't matter). Villian leads for 10, I raise to 50, villian reraises to 100.

Hero???
Old 09-04-2005, 09:15 PM

Default Re: Turning Stone 1/2 NL dilemma

Clearly you're going to the felt with this hand against this opponent. Villain has 60% of his stack in there now, so you'll probably get it all in there no matter how you play it. I'd just call this and then push it in when he bets the turn.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:57 PM

Easy reraise all in in that game, particularly with what you've told us about villain. I often wonder how players on here adjust between internet and live play. On the internet, (except for extremely low no limit stakes) top pair even with top kicker usually isn't worth very much to a reraise. But in a live 100 NL buy in game, its a monster. I'm not saying I would stack off if I had built my stack up to 400 in that game with it, but for 100 bucks or even two hundred against a reckless villain, I'm going to need a strong read to lay it down.

Btw, I was also there last night. I was wearing a grey polo shirt and leather jacket and had a Binghamton hat on. Don't remember the hand you're describing, so I'm guessing we weren't at the same table.....
Old 09-04-2005, 11:41 PM

The hand happened at approximately 11pm. Apparently they had 9 NL100 tables open that night so there is a good chance I didn't see you.

I totally agree about going to the felt. My game was playing fast and loose. There was probably a string of 7-8 pots in a row that went to showdown and the pots were all $100+.

FYI villian was a middle aged asian man wearing at ugly lime green collar shirt.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:42 PM

I did end up calling the flop. The turn brought another 8 so the board read A-6-8-8. Villian put me all-in (results to follow tommorow).
Old 09-05-2005, 12:09 AM

With your description of the villain im all in on the flop.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:21 AM

pushing all in on the flop allows villain to get away from a lot of hands. i call the flop and let villain dig his own grave on the turn.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
pushing all in on the flop allows villain to get away from a lot of hands. i call the flop and let villain dig his own grave on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

After calling the 3 bet the op only has $110 left. I doubt villains folding for that much more.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:47 AM

Default results

I get it all-in on the turn. The river bricks off and vllian tables 6-6 for the boat.

In retrospect I don't think folding was an option so I only cursed myself briefly and rebought.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that's too passive. i put villain on A9o