Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2005, 01:09 AM

Default HELP! Im becoming a LAG

Since moving up to $5/$10NL, Ive started adding a few new plays to my game. Theyve been working out well. The problem is that I cant stop myself from doing it. Fancy play syndrome I guess. I really feel like Im doing it too much. Im doing fine and winning at a decent pace playing my normal TAG game and I think a few plays added in is great, but like I said I just cant seem to stop myself from doing it too much. I feel like Im becoming a LAG (and Im not so sure Im good at LAG play)

Here are a couple examples from tonight. pLease feel free to tell me which hands are idiotic and which (if any) are good.

#1) EP goes all in for $30 and gets 3 calls. I reraise to $130 with AQ on the button. I get called once ( by the 2nd guy who called the original all in). Hes very loose and very bad.

Pot is $330 or so. Flop comes J74. He checks and I bet $250. I have to continue to represent a big pair here right?

#2) I limp 99 UTG. Next guy who has $900 min raises to $20. Both blinds call and I reraise to $120. This is questionable but not too bad I think....but then UTG+1 calls and SB goes all in for $300. I push for $1000. UGH!

#3) 2 weak limpers and I raise to $50 in the SB with AK. BB calls and 1 limper calls. (same loose bad player form hand #1).

Pot is $165. Flop J86. I bet $150. BB folds and weakie calls.
Pot is $465. Turn 2. I bet $250 and he calls.
Pot is $965. River is a J. He has $400 left and I push putting him all in. I really hate this one. Normally I wouldve given up after he called the flop bet, but he was chasing everything so I kept firing. There arent even any draws here. This has to be horrible right?

#4) MP ($1000)open raises to $30. I ($950)call with 33. BB (425) calls.
Pot is $95. The flop is T64. BB checks, MP bets $44..I min raise (WTF am I doing here?). BB cold calls and MP calls also. Ok Im done this time

Pot is $350. Turn is an ace and it gets checked around.
Pot $350 and the river is a 3. BB checks, MP bets $150. I push.

My flop play here is horrible obviously but I think I have the bets hand now and MP might call this thinking its a bluff right?
Old 09-04-2005, 01:53 AM

Default Re: HELP! Im becoming a LAG

Hand 1, fine.

Hand 2, get out pf when your $120 bluff gets called and reraised.

Hand 3, yuck. You gotta know whether weakie is a player who will lay down to two bullets, or if he's calling all the way after calling the first bullet. It's fire once or fire three times.

Hand 4, reraise, sure, but not allin. Make it $400. If someone comes over the top of that you can safely muck.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:36 AM

No offense, we all have our brain farts and stints of stupidity, but this isn't LAGness at all, it's just giving away your money.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No offense, we all have our brain farts and stints of stupidity, but this isn't LAGness at all, it's just giving away your money.

[/ QUOTE ]

yup.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:03 AM

For hand #4, if you are willing to put your money in the pot on this river, I think check-calling is better than a push here (granted, it's still not the recommended play)
Old 09-04-2005, 10:02 AM

I posted these because I really think they stink, but between these 4 hands and one more like it, the final results were that I lost about $150 more than I wouldve if I had played the hands like I normally would, so although Im still not happy at all about my plays...the $150 MIGHT be worth something image -wise

Results
1) The guy folded so I was heads up against the short stack all in for the main pot. he had T6s and I won

2) Although this play looks bad, I thought I very well could be ahead of the SB (He only called the min raise the first time so it might be a coin flip) and I needed to fold or get the original min raiser out bu pushing in.

The original min raiser folded to my all in , but the SB had TT and I lost $300 or so. I think his play with TT is worse than mine with 99. I will have AA / KK there almost every time and most $5/$10 players know that.

3) I think this is the worst one , although I made $500 or so here. The guy folded to my river push.

4) I really thought I caught a miracle card at the river to win but the BB had a set of 6's. I cant believe he checked the river after the turn got checked around. My push wouldve worked out nicely if MP had called as well as the SB. MP had AT for top 2.

I fully realize that these are bad plays for the most part, but like i said, for some reason I cant seem to stop myself from doing it and Im not sure why. Something I have to really work on.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:49 AM

Im doing the exact same thing right now.
Im bluffing non-draw boards and afterwards I feel dumb.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:00 AM

You know these lines are dodgy, so I won't comment on them in detail. They look like "heat of battle" mistakes; we all make them.

The main high-level comment I have is: You put in a lot of chips playing LAG against a "very loose and very bad" player. In general, bluffing these players is bad (although if he will draw a lot and then give up for small bets on the end, then building pots with air is fine as long as you know where he stands) and value betting them to death is good. I'm sure you know this.

So my simple suggestion for controlling/curtailing your LAG play is: When you're about to make a LAG play, stop to ask youself, "Is my opponent someone against whom I should be doing this?"
Old 09-04-2005, 11:26 AM

The worst thing is that I made 4 of these plays and was pissed at myself. I logged off and walked around the block and logged back in.

The AK hand was played about 10 hands later. I think this is the worst of the bunch but I did it anyway. Luckily he folded and I made about $500 on that hand, but how does he call me at every street and then fold for the $400 he had left with a $1300 or so pot? I dont know, but the point is that even after the walk around the block, I did the exact same thing again.

This crap just started about a week ago and I only do it at $5/$10. Ive played about 3000 hands of $2/$4 NL during this same time frame with a win rate of 20PTBBs. Obviously Im running hot at $2/$4 and Im not saying thats my real win rate, but I dont seem to be having this crazy "cant stop myself from being an idiot" problem playing $2/$4...even if Im playing a $2/$4 and a $5/$10 at the same time.

I know the first step to fixoing a leak is to acknowledge it, but Ive done that and I still cant stop myself. Hopefully by posting this, it will help me stop myself.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The AK hand was played about 10 hands later. I think this is the worst of the bunch but I did it anyway. Luckily he folded and I made about $500 on that hand, but how does he call me at every street and then fold for the $400 he had left with a $1300 or so pot?

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree this is the worst of them.

It's likely you were bluffing with the best hand. He's calling on the end with any pair if he's made it that far, so I figure he has something like QT or T9 or 97. The river, then, is a mandatory check-call for you, or a check-fold if know he wouldn't bluff.

But you should have given up earlier. And if you didn't give up, you should've put a real bet out on the turn.