Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2005, 01:44 AM

Default Re: I See Four Levels of Christianity

[ QUOTE ]

Any and all of the following definitions of arbitrary may apply to God

[/ QUOTE ]

2. applies to God but I don't see that as being arbitrary. I don't see how 1. and 2. can define the same word.

If something is "Based on or subject to individual judgment or preference" (2) I don't see how it can be " Determined by chance, whim, or impulse, and not by necessity, reason, or principle:"(1) since if something is based on God's judgment that is the exact opposite of being determined by chance.

4. is iffy. God isn't limited by human or natural law but He determines based on His character. Since He is good and righteous, His determinations are as well, and thus not arbitrary. The words despot and dictator have bad connotations though I suppose could be applied to God with qualifications. Absolute Ruler, King, Sovereign are better.

So not to overdo the semantics my position is that God is the opposite of 1., and His rule is by His good and righeous character.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Any and all of the following definitions of arbitrary may apply to God

[/ QUOTE ]

2. applies to God but I don't see that as being arbitrary. I don't see how 1. and 2. can define the same word.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know English, crazy language. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

If something is "Based on or subject to individual judgment or preference" (2) I don't see how it can be " Determined by chance, whim, or impulse, and not by necessity, reason, or principle:"(1) since if something is based on God's judgment that is the exact opposite of being determined by chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps they are poorly describing the human nature and capacity to make snap decisions without the need for consultation, which appear 'on a whim' or 'by chance'?

Though I'm not an English major, and furthermore, when you study other languages you find English is a crazy language as alot of what is said can be interpreted different ways due to context and tone, where other languages have specific particles, structure, and changes of spelling to quell misunderstanding.

[ QUOTE ]

4. is iffy. God isn't limited by human or natural law but He determines based on His character. Since He is good and righteous, His determinations are as well, and thus not arbitrary. The words despot and dictator have bad connotations though I suppose could be applied to God with qualifications. Absolute Ruler, King, Sovereign are better.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is said that "Absolute power corrupts absolutely", though we can only contribute this saying to humans and not to any other being(s) accurately. (including God)

If Sin corrupts humans and therefore absolute power amplifies that corruption in humanity, if God is sinless then there is no corruption to be amplified = The Good Dictator. (something not seen on Earth)

Maybe?

[ QUOTE ]

So not to overdo the semantics my position is that God is the opposite of 1., and His rule is by His good and righeous character.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would like to think that, and believe that if one reads the Bible cover to cover the instances of God being loving do seem to outweigh the times he gets pissed.

Although God seems rather 'immune' in some ways to tough decisions, in that he can make decisions that we would think difficult and unfair from our P.O.V yet he seems to think nothing of it. (I am careful not to analyze the mind of God as I am nothing but a meat puppet)

Cheers,
SDM
Old 09-03-2005, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If Sin corrupts humans and therefore absolute power amplifies that corruption in humanity, if God is sinless then there is no corruption to be amplified = The Good Dictator. (something not seen on Earth)

Maybe?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is why I said technically despot and dictator could apply to God but the usual connotations make it a bad choice.

[ QUOTE ]

I would like to think that, and believe that if one reads the Bible cover to cover the instances of God being loving do seem to outweigh the times he gets pissed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just one point on this. God's anger is not a "bad" thing. It is an expression of His holy nature and is completely just and righteous. Think of how you feel when you see a complete injustice being done, to you or someone else. I recently saw Schindler's List and I wanted to rip the eyes out of Goeth. I truly saw red. This is but a pale reflection of the anger God has over sin, and His anger is far more justified than mine or any human's over anything. This is very difficult to grasp because it relates to the true nature of sin, something it takes a lifetime to even begin to dimly understand.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Maybe?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is why I said technically despot and dictator could apply to God but the usual connotations make it a bad choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I thought that is what you mean't.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just one point on this. God's anger is not a "bad" thing. It is an expression of His holy nature and is completely just and righteous. Think of how you feel when you see a complete injustice being done, to you or someone else. I recently saw Schindler's List and I wanted to rip the eyes out of Goeth. I truly saw red. This is but a pale reflection of the anger God has over sin, and His anger is far more justified than mine or any human's over anything. This is very difficult to grasp because it relates to the true nature of sin, something it takes a lifetime to even begin to dimly understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although I am not sure what you are alluding to by saying "the true nature of sin" I have always understood why God destroyed Sodom and Gommorroh, think about it:

God creates this:

Yet they chose this:

I'd be pissed too if I was God. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

In Jest,
SDM
Old 09-03-2005, 05:13 AM

I am not a long time participant here at twoplustwo, but this thread awakened my interest. David, may I ask why you are attempting to classify christians in groups? Are you a beleiver?
I am a christian philosopher who has struggled with my faith and its relationship with the game I love(poker). Do you beleive a person can be a participant in todays poker world without compromise to his/her faith?
My goals are to become a champion, to share my faith within the poker community and to set a good example of what a christian should be. I wish to abide and set a standard and ethical code that adheres to biblical principles while competing at the pro-level.
I am interested in your thoughts pertaining to expectation on the tournament trail as well as your opinion on internet poker. I would like to discuss your opinion/theory on the sites ethics, random theory, collusion, risk/reward factor and government control. Although I realize this single forum would not be the place nor the time to debate and disciss phlosophy on all the subjects of interest I often ponder. I value your thoughts as a man of reason and intellect and I appreciate any response you find time to expand upon.
As for your original query of isolating types of christians, we would have to further discuss details that delve into many many variables of the christian faith. I would enjoy such a discussion.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:34 AM

A 5th could be added. as I'm such others as well. But i (Those who believe that all major religions speak of the same god. But think chirstanity is most correct.) They fall into all of the other 4 categories. I will try and get some more added. For instance the ones who are nominal only. They don't go to church often, or really know much about thier religion. But they still identify themselves with xtianity. And will defend some really wierd "facts" such as Jesus was born on Dec 25th.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:08 AM

Is it appropriate to add "crazy fundy bastards" as another category?
Old 09-03-2005, 09:53 AM

Personaly I hope He does too. I don't like what I beleive. Its not how I would have done it if I were God. However I find this is a very good reason that I am probably wrong.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:17 PM

I see dead people. I'll have the roast duck with mango salsa.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:41 AM

What is this preoccupation with Christianity?