Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2005, 02:03 AM

Default A general bluffing line

picking off bluffs is one of the things i need to work on, so If someone intends to bluff, either the turn or river. What line are they most possible to take?

for me, i think its check/call, lead the turn. This is generally either a monster or a complete bluff.

also, a huge overbet is generally either a monster or a complete bluff. I think it depends on the player which is more likely. Most of the times its some type of semi bluff like a str8 or flush draw.

A lot of players only bluff with position, so they'll bet the flop and turn. This is the line i generally take. A lot of times the blinds will call a decent raise, call the flop bet for some stupid reason (1 overcard) and then when you throw down a decent sized bet on the turn they fold quickly.

Standard thinking here? Missing anything?
Old 09-03-2005, 02:07 AM

Default Re: A general bluffing line

This may be a terrible line but lets see. sometimes i will check/call flop check/call turn and then bet river. but i will also fold the turn depending on the player or size of bet. this will usually be in a raised pot. but alos im not sure if this is a profitable line because villian might interpret me for a missed draw.

BTW, i seem to alway pick the worst spots to bluff lol
Old 09-03-2005, 02:10 AM

Default Re: A general bluffing line

what about the check/call, check/raise option?

that one is pretty high risk, but its a good way to pick up a nice(r) pot if you've got a read that villains got nothing but air (and you can bluff him off it with your air)

I think your line is the most common. check/call and leading the turn is the one i often take cause its 1) relatively safe 2) cheap 3) seems to work pretty good.

sometimes i also play phantom flushes if i know my opponent will lay down. like, i'll run a bluff on the turn (or maybe river, but rare) when a 3rd flush card comes down. i've found that one to work pretty well as long as its used at critical points.

i also like the bluff where you are chasing a flush or straight, and on the river, 2nd pair pairs up on the board, and i raise to represent trips.

ok, i'm kind of rambling. sorry.