Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 11:03 PM

Default How hard would it be to program a macro or program to...

Plot the ups and downs of one's stack in a tournament history. For instance you were down to t400 and fought back, lost some, gained more. Just a simple line graph perhaps with the ability to import more than 1 tourney, for me it would be interesting to see the fluctuation of my stack during longer runs in tournies compared to shorter ones. Any thoughts? Any programmers have an idea how hard this would be? Could be a cool little tool, and I would imagine it wouldn't be incredibly hard to make.
~Justin
Old 09-02-2005, 11:06 PM

Default Re: How hard would it be to program a macro or program to...

Sounds fairly simple with a perl program to extract the data, only thing is I have never tried to extract data, then use another program to analyze the data. If i grabbed another perl book(dunno where mine is =(), I could give you the exact code to extract the data and put it into another file, it would just be a simple matter of using this data in another program to plot the data.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:07 PM

that would be cool. I wish I knew more about computers.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:09 PM

I think it would be cool to take different winning players and overlay there graphs to see if any trends emerge.
~Justin
Old 09-02-2005, 11:10 PM

Speaking of which, it would be really easy to do in any program, but typically perl is the "language of choice" to manipulate strings. I could try to hack out a C program if you like, since C is the language I use the most. But still I could probably only put the data into a text file(essentially the output would just be your chip stack after every hand on a seperate line. It might be fairly easy to import this into excel, but I have never tried to import a text file into excel myself so I am not totally sure.)

If that wasn't a long enough explanation, I don't know what is, I should stop drinking me thinks.

Cheers!
John
Old 09-02-2005, 11:13 PM

Sometime next beginning of next week(it's labor day weekend I hate programming when school is not in session) I will write you a program that can at least extract all of your chips counts and put them in a text file for ya. I can look into how to import these into excel to get a nice graph also.

Cheers!
John
Old 09-02-2005, 11:13 PM

Well importing into excel would prolly be an easy thing to do on the backend as you can customize delineators to break text into cells and could simply customize it to the output text file.
~Justin
Old 09-02-2005, 11:18 PM

Yeah I am just saying, I don't think I could automate the process of throwing things into excel. Like you said it wouldn't be hard to manually import a .txt into an .xls, but I don't know how much control C has as far as importing into windows programs =P.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:19 PM

Ok ok. Thank you very much for the responses John, I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
~Justin
Old 09-02-2005, 11:21 PM

i would be more interested in a program that showed how often you were ehead on the flop when you get stacked.