Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 08:44 PM

Default Re: Only cowards hide from responsibility

[ QUOTE ]
Evidently Bush causes hurricanes, earthquakes, and tsunamis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Evidently, certain conservatives believe that they bear no responsibility when their policies fail. And, to be clear, the pathetic federal response was, indeed, fully under the control of the Republican administration and, to a lesser extent the Republican Congress. So save the staw man.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:51 PM

Default Re: Is not true that the Democrats are in Charge in That Area?

[ QUOTE ]
Ah.............the old bait and switch.
A tactic used by the intellectually weak who are incapable of forming a rational counter argument.

But I already knew that about you Dvault. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to point out to everyone, the above quote makes no sense at all. Nice attempt at sounding smart.

This ownage has been brought to you by the Nash Clown Hall of Fame
Old 09-02-2005, 09:11 PM

Default Re: Democrat \'Leader\' = Weak

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A Republican mayor would have ordered the school buses deployed ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's safer simply to say a competent mayor would have used the available resources. It's safer to say that after failing to do so, a mayor with brain waves would not then attack the federal government.

[/ QUOTE ]

And where were all of the brain surgeons criticizing the mayor's handling of the hurricane/evacuation prior to this disaster? Where were all of you knuckleheads complaining about how he was not deploying school buses to evacuate people? Can you find one link? One person? Anyone? Doubt it.

Blaming the mayor here is ridiculous.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's safer simply to say a competent mayor would have used the available resources. It's safer to say that after failing to do so, a mayor with brain waves would not then attack the federal government.

[/ QUOTE ]

And now the mayor of New Orleans has been quoted as saying "Get every doggone Greyhound bus line in the country and get that [expletive] moving to New Orleans ... This is a major, major, major deal. I can't emphasize that enough."

What a joke. He HAD buses, they're all underwater now.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And now the mayor of New Orleans has been quoted as saying "Get every doggone Greyhound bus line in the country and get that [expletive] moving to New Orleans ... This is a major, major, major deal. I can't emphasize that enough."

[/ QUOTE ]

not for nothing (and I'm not defending his inaction), but what would have been the best course of action, and when should it have been taken?
Old 09-02-2005, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not for nothing (and I'm not defending his inaction), but what would have been the best course of action, and when should it have been taken?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not in a position to say what SHOULD have been done. There are a few things that maybe could have been done better, like when the forecast indicated the storm was headed for New Orleans, maybe utilizing all those buses that are now under water.

Basically, my comment was pointing out the sheer irony in the fact that the mayor had all those buses at his disposal and for whatever reason did not use them, and is now clamoring about how many buses they need and how they should get that [censored] going to the Big Easy. Those school buses that are underwater can carry lots of people.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Basically, my comment was pointing out the sheer irony in the fact that the mayor had all those buses at his disposal and for whatever reason did not use them, and is now clamoring about how many buses they need and how they should get that [censored] going to the Big Easy. Those school buses that are underwater can carry lots of people.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYI, that's not irony.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYI, that's not irony.

[/ QUOTE ]

i·ro·ny Audio pronunciation of "irony" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (r-n, r-)
n. pl. i·ro·nies

1. The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning.
2. An expression or utterance marked by a deliberate contrast between apparent and intended meaning.
3. A literary style employing such contrasts for humorous or rhetorical effect. See Synonyms at wit1.
1. Incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs: “Hyde noted the irony of Ireland's copying the nation she most hated” (Richard Kain).
2. An occurrence, result, or circumstance notable for such incongruity. See Usage Note at ironic.

3. Dramatic irony.
4. Socratic irony.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not in a position to say what SHOULD have been done. There are a few things that maybe could have been done better, like when the forecast indicated the storm was headed for New Orleans, maybe utilizing all those buses that are now under water.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear what you're saying, and at the same time trying to put myself in that snapshot in time.

What would I be thinking about as a Class 5 hurricane bears down on my city? More than likely, I'd want to ensure that everything that could be secured in place was made to be.

I also might have been thinking how to evacuate all those who were actually unable to do so on their own.

Let's say that I had the foresight to attempt to mobilize all of my city's transportation vehicles. Do I even have the drivers to man the buses? What would be my plan?

I would have to notify the citizens as best as I could, and then tell them what?

OK, let's say the media are still broadcasting. What message do you give them to relay to the general population?

Go to the corner and wait for a bus?

As a Class 5 hurricane is bearing down on them? How many thousands of citizens are you then putting in immediate harms way?

It's a complicated, horrific scenario.

I also think it's a terrible shame that those, and all other public transportation vehicles, were not able to be used to help all of those who were stranded, but I don't know how it could have been done, given the timing/circumstances of the situation.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:50 PM

Default Re: Republicans Apparently Can\'t Govern

Well I can't remember the last time Republicans were actaully about 'limiting government'. Instead they just switch the size of government to other areas, i.e. military.

I don't think you can rail against limited government because we don't have a limited government in any sense. If we had a limited government we probably could have afforded building proper levee systems instead of the numerous government agencies, failed businesses we prop up, wasted money through foreign policy, ect ect ect.

But I think you guys are really underestimating private relief efforts. When this all done take note of how much money, time, supplies and blood was donated to the relief efforts. They didn't have to do it, but its there much like relief to indonesia which members of this board had a donation drive of sorts. They didn't have to do it but they did.