Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Anouther quest/log type post

[ QUOTE ]
so can i assume that the 10/20 nl is about the same as 50/100 limit or a bit higher?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know cause I dont play any of these. I think general opinion is that 50/100 limit is bigger game (bigger means bankroll/swings/profit wise) but my intuition tell me that these games are more or less the same level.
I think that great 2kNL player can earn much more per hand than 50/100 limit player for example but swings are certainly higher at limit.

Best wishes
Old 09-02-2005, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
losing 10k in a day will not phase me.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about losing 10k in a hand? Or going from +10k to -10k in a single orbit? Keep in mind that you'll need to get used to this kind of nonsense to play in the 25-50NL.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:23 PM

Re: your quest, I think you're underestimating how tough, especially psychologically, the bigger (5-10NL and up) NL games can be, especially on people who are primarily limit players. I suspect you have a good chance at achieving your goal, but it'll probably take quite a bit longer than your plan. I fully agree with your approach re: this improving your overall poker game. I've dabbled a fair amount across limit/NL/Omaha/random other games/tourneys/live/online for reasons of boredom and improving my game and it has definitely helped.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:55 PM

what type of time table would you set out? where do you think the problems will come, moving from 5-10 to 10-20 nl? Lack of understanding or pysc. factors? Anything I should definatly avoid doing or not doing?
thanks
dave
Old 09-02-2005, 07:03 PM

Something to add to your quest. Have you considered doing something like keeping two tables of 30/60 limit open and just go on autopilot while you REALLY concentrate on like 1-2 tables of nl cash? This might help in keeping up a nice earn rate, especially if you find out you suck at NL.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:44 PM

that does make sense on some levels, however while I may currently suck at nl my goal is to get good. I am confedent I can and so I am purseing this goal first earn second. my thinking is that is I want to become a great, rather than good player, I have to do everything I can ti improve. and nl seemed like a good ave. for improvement. finally, right now I don't have that many expenses so I don't mind a reduced earn, while I am getting better.
dave