Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 05:31 PM

Default Re: Using drugs to enhance ur tourney game?

Lloyd,

Now why would u close this thread? I am asking about drugs that can be prescribed, nothing illegal here. If I go tell my doctor that I cannot sleep (which i am getting ready to do) he'll give me Ambien legally. Sorry if I did something wrong but taking necessary medications should be no problem at the poker table. I just wander what helps people to play long hours and function normally and as I have already explained, I do not want to spark a weed discussion in the MTT forum.

Indy
Old 09-02-2005, 05:31 PM

dont close it lloyd, i think its an interesting discussion. and honestly, while i have no interest in taking anything, im not sure why the suggestion that taking certain meds might help a tourney player succeed is generating such universal vitriol.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:36 PM

Wow MLG, 'vitriol.' Now that's a big word No wonder u always make the final table, ur a GodDM genius.

Indy
Old 09-02-2005, 05:43 PM

My personal opinion on prescription drugs is to take them as rarely as possible. They obviously change things about you, and while most of the effects are good, there are still negative side effects. When you get sick or you can't sleep, its a different story, as the good outwieghs the bad. But for me, If i started using pres. drugs just for poker, i would feel like my priorites were not right.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:44 PM

direwolf hinted at memory loss which is true.

Also, i'm sure you've tried studying for a test or doing homework after smoking weed. It just doesn't work, unless its for something really basic, unlike poker. You might also have a hard time catching all the details you would while sober.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:22 PM

Paul Phillips has talked about his use of Adderal and Modafinil here and here

I also heard alot of drug talk at the WSOP. From what I've heard there are basicly three different reasons players take prescription drugs while playing poker.
<ul type="square">[*]Staying calm[*]Staying Alert[*]Thinking more clearly[/list]Of these, "Thinking more clearly" is obviously the most interesting one, and I think this thread would be the most valuable if it concentrated on that.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
direwolf hinted at memory loss which is true.

Also, i'm sure you've tried studying for a test or doing homework after smoking weed. It just doesn't work, unless its for something really basic, unlike poker. You might also have a hard time catching all the details you would while sober.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, each person reacts differently to different drugs. When some people smoke pot, they are completely useless. Others will smoke all day everyday and you would not know the difference.

Personally I find myself more perceptive while high. I notice little things that would slip by me normally. I'm assuming this is from many teenage nights getting high with buddies and playing video games. Studying high has never been a problem for myself either but I understand I'm one of the exceptions and not the rule. I had friends flunk out of university because they were useless burnouts.

I do very much disagree though with missing details.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:25 PM

It's different for each person because we know Gank smokes a lot of weed and he is successful but just don't know how he will be when he gets older. But I think if you have ADD then ofcourse you can take medicine. Mike Matosaw has very bad ADD i think so thats why he takes alot of drugs and gank has ADD too.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:28 PM

Sleeping aids like Ambien are probably not effective in increasing your performance because although they induce sleep they also have been associated with decreased memory and cognitive performance after waking up.

Melatonin on the other hand is not associated with decreased memory and cognitive performance and at least in the elderly has been shown to actually increase cognitive performance in the morning.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I should be more specific because I did not intend to spark a weed/illegal drug discussion. What I mean is more along the lines of legitimate pharamaceutical drugs like prozac, ritalin, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
"Legitimate" pharmaceutical drugs that are not prescribed are just as illegal as other drugs. Frankly, I'm doing my best to not close this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be such a narrow minded little prick on a power trip.

All I have to do is go to the doc and ask, and he'll give me a perfectly legal prescription for ambien. Oh and in fact, I have already done so. I don't use them often, and I personally find myself groggy in the morning when I take one, so I think it would hurt my game.

And there is nothing wrong with asking people if doing this PERFECTLY LEGAL act might help them in poker.

-Scott