Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2005, 03:53 PM

Default Re: PL 5K Hand checkin

I'm luckier? Better?

Seriously, I used to use W$WSF as the third stat in rating players before I decided to use aggression. In some ways, I think W$SF correlates more with success-- because it measure how succesful your aggression is-- but in the end, I decided it was more useful to me when I make decision to know a players style-- as opposed to how others react to it. What all this means is I think this number and results would improve with more selective aggression.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that most everyone is agreeing that my W$SD it too low and I am hypothesizing that this is at least partially caused by my aggression.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I wouldn’t agree with that. W$SD has a denominator # of only times you went to showdown –which means it’s N is even smaller than things like VPIP which are already too small to draw significant conclusions.

W$SD is also heavily dependent on playing style. Wintermute’s PFR of 15% means pots are larger which means going to showdown is more correct given pot odds. Jorge’s PFR of 3% means his W$SD will be higher. Just to give one example.

Net, I agree with Wintermute that using stats/icons in PL/NL games is much less helpful than in Limit games. And that there are several different successful styles in plo8.
You have to find the style that works best for you. There is nothing about your numbers that jump out as a problem to me.

If I was to give you some advice based on my experience, and if your goal is to be beating $200/400 games then I’d say focus more on playing position, focus more on specific hand play, and mixing up your frequencies. And maybe loosen up a bit, PFR more esp. in late position, try to bluff-semibluff a bit less from EP spots

-g
Old 09-01-2005, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also I agree with wintermute winrate is pretty much the stat that gives you the least info because its the stat that is most affected by luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Goddamit, is this thread an exercise in misreading other people's posts? This is the exact OPPOSITE of what I said. Win rate is the most important statistic, it's virtually the only one I rely on when selecting a game (although I generally just sit down at an empty table and let the game find me).
Old 09-01-2005, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wintermute’s PFR of 15% means pots are larger which means going to showdown is more correct given pot odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good point Gerg, and definitely contributes to low showdown %.

But (and Goop, think about this one carefully, I think it applies to you based on your numbers), what do you think happens to this number if you are being aggressive post-flop a lot, and picking up pot after pot when people fold to aggression? Particularly, what happens if you are consistently sticking in huge bets on the river when you hold the nuts? You get paid off once in a while, but many of your winning hands (that would otherwise give you W$SD percentage points) do not count towards that stat because the opponent correctly folds.

It's up to you to decide whether it's worth trying to value bet the river softer and get more calls, increased W$SD, or whether it's more valuable to constantly be maxing out river bets and getting called once in a while for a huge stack.