Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 09:57 PM

Default Re: Difference between addiction and trying to be the best?

My sister-in-law, the psychologist, had a similar view about me, mostly because of the number of books I've read and how engrossed I became in poker.

But, the word "addiction" is much over used today. Generally, it should only apply to a combined mental & physical condition as is the case with substances such as drugs and alcohol. (I know, true gambling addiction causes similar brain chemical changes).

No one accuses someone of being "addicted" to reading mystery novels even if they spend 30 hours a week at it.

Obsession or compulsion is a different story. Anything can fall into those categories. Some people are obsessed with work, or compulsive with cleaning.

In the case of poker, this may be an over-simplified criterion . . . but if you're a losing player and continue to lose beyond your means with no effort on improving, then you MIGHT be "addicted" to the gambling nature of it. Or, you may have more disposable income.

Beyond that, how's poker different from spending $2,000 on golf equipment for the entertainment and challenge aspect?

P.S. My sister-in-law's opinion has changed of late. After knowing me better, and my general drive to do things well, and my $ to show for the effort, she no longer sees it as unhealthy.