Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 01:44 PM

Default First hand post, plz help

Just sat down, no reads. Comments on postflop plz.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls.

Flop: (7 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, MP1 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (7.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.50 BB
Old 08-31-2005, 01:55 PM

Default Re: First hand post, plz help

This looks good, I'd put in a third bet on the flop as there's a good chance you're still ahead and if not have a strong draw.

I'm torn on the river - you do have the straight but it's an obvious 1 card straight. If he had 2 pair or a set on the flop (looks very much like 2 pair, slowing down when you hit the straight) you're going to get 3-bet on the river if he improved to a full house and if he instead has any king you're just splitting. I'm not sure you're taking the pot here often enough to raise and call a 3-bet (although I probably would have done the same thing in the heat of the moment).
Old 08-31-2005, 02:19 PM

I'd definitely 3-bet the flop because you have a truckload of equity. Yeah, the river's interesting because this guy could either be a non-idiotic player that realized he's destroying your likely straight or an LAG who's managed to trip up.
I think it's the former more often than the latter, so I call the river lead.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:25 PM

I'd raise the turn instead of the river here, mostly because one thing the generic 0.50/1 player is not good at is folding, so you probably won't lose your customer. Just call down when 3 bet that looks fine. Overall, this isn't too bad, a bit fancy - standard would be 3 betting the flop.

-DeathDonkey
Old 08-31-2005, 02:28 PM

Flop: You have an overpair and an OESD. One side of the OESD is to the nut straight on a rainbow board. I three bet this.

Turn: Good. I'm tempted to c/r but that 9 is bound to scare your opponent so you might as well bet it. I'd be kicking myself if I check and a K comes on the river causing a split pot, or worse yet giving villian an A high straight.

River: Board pairs which devalues our hand slightly. Worse yet our flop call and turn bet with 4 to the straigh on the board should have broadcast our hand pretty clearly to villian. He probably sees the straight staring him in the face and doesn't care. I'd just call his turn lead here, I don't think your good anywhere near 50% of the time.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:29 PM

Welcome to the forums. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I would have felt inclined to 3-bet the flop. When SB raised the flop he may have had 2 pair, which is easily possible with the 3 high cards on the flop. However SB may also have raised with just top pair. So you may have still had the best hand, and if not you had an open ended straight draw.

When you make your straight on the turn, I think its pretty obvious that you should bet.

I imagine that SB most likely made a full-house when he bet the river. I doubt that he had just trip T's, because I think thats its unlikely that he would have raised the flop with Tx.

Nontheless there is a chance that your straight is the best hand, so I would have called SB's river bet. However I would not have raised on the river, because I think its too likely that SB had you beaten.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd raise the turn instead of the river here, mostly because one thing the generic 0.50/1 player is not good at is folding, so you probably won't lose your customer. Just call down when 3 bet that looks fine. Overall, this isn't too bad, a bit fancy - standard would be 3 betting the flop.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you please teach me how to raise my own bet on the turn? I can see lots of situations where that line would come in handy!
Old 08-31-2005, 02:35 PM

This is fine on all streets.

(Yeah I toss in a 3-bet on the flop but on this particular board I don't think it's egregiously wrong to slow down. Two pair is a very likely holding for villain. If it were not HU a raise would still be automatic).
Old 08-31-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you please teach me how to raise my own bet on the turn? I can see lots of situations where that line would come in handy!

[/ QUOTE ]

Granted, this is slightly more difficult than your own suggestion of a turn checkraise, but I am still curious which bet we were going to raise since our only opponent has already checked this street. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Edited after looking at the hand again: changed "flop raiser" to "our only opponent"
Old 08-31-2005, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sure right after you teach me how to c/r last to act