Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 01:00 PM

Default Re: Why don\'t girls make good music?

I'm going to say the names Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Aretha Franklin and Janis Joplin one more time. I don't know why, you're not hearing me.

Now I go away. Let me know when your "Women Aren't Good Writers" thread is coming out.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to say the names Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Aretha Franklin and Janis Joplin one more time. I don't know why, you're not hearing me.

[/ QUOTE ]

look, it's clear the OP overstated his point i guess. but coming up with a handful of example of good musicians who were women in no way invalidates his argument that the vast majority of any consensus list of top musicians would be dominated by men, and it's not even close.

coming up with an answer based on opportunities could be effective, though i'm skeptical that can explain all of the discrepancy.

is it really so hard to understand that an example does not make a rule? stop coming up with lists.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:35 PM

In addition to the females already named (and for some contemporary stuff), check out Vienna Teng and Diana Krall.

Both are quite talented, albeit in different ways.

And Diana Krall is hott.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

look, it's clear the OP overstated his point i guess. but coming up with a handful of example of good musicians who were women in no way invalidates his argument that the vast majority of any consensus list of top musicians would be dominated by men, and it's not even close.

coming up with an answer based on opportunities could be effective, though i'm skeptical that can explain all of the discrepancy.

is it really so hard to understand that an example does not make a rule? stop coming up with lists.

[/ QUOTE ]

From the OP:
do females make any REALLY good music? Give me some examples please

So...

edit: just because he realized his argument was crap and changed it halfway through is no reason to in no way invalidates the fact that his argument was crap.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
edit: just because he realized his argument was crap and changed it halfway through is no reason to in no way invalidates the fact that his argument was crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess i just assumed that the "music is dominated by men, why?" question was what he meant. the one you are arguing against is clearly retarded, because obviously there is a lot of great music by women. but the fact that "a lot" is nowhere near a reasonable percentage does have the possibility of being an interesting question
Old 08-31-2005, 01:53 PM

Location: it\'s like a puzzle with pans. if you think about it.

maybe if we weren't so busy baking bread we'd have more time to write a little tune.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:07 PM

Stick to the bread and let the dudes make the tunes.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess i just assumed that the "music is dominated by men, why?" question was what he meant. the one you are arguing against is clearly retarded, because obviously there is a lot of great music by women. but the fact that "a lot" is nowhere near a reasonable percentage does have the possibility of being an interesting question

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do I keep coming back???

The argument you state is not one that OP has put forth in any post in this thread. The response you quoted from me previously was to this question: "There have just been very few female musicians who were good enough to change the face of their genre, or even music period. In 100 or 200 years from now, which female artists will still be played?"

I stated artists that changed the face of their genres (jazz, rock, and r+b to name a few) and will still undeniably be listened to in 100-200 years. I could have listed a few more examples from this thread - most say Loretta Lynn and Patsy Cline had a huge influence on country music, someone mentioned Lucinda Williams, whose band the Blood Oranges was a huge influence in the alt-country genre. Don't even get me started on the singer-songwriter genre, you're not even allowed to possess a set of testicles in that genre, as is evidenced by the popularity of Sarah McLachlan, Ani DiFranco, and John Maier.

Now, as for the argument you put forth:

I'm not going to come up with a list of all the great music in all the genres throughout the last few centuries, and then do a mathematical computation of % of women.

I think what you are talking about here may be a cultural thing, in that most forms of the entertainment industry are dominated by men, because most forms of business have been dominated by men for a long time. Men get more chances, men are given more breaks, men get to stay around longer even though they are no longer attractive (looking at you, Keith Richards) or never were (that's right, Neil Young.) Same with acting. No one says that men are naturally better actors than women. But even the greatest women actors have trouble getting work as they get older, and have trouble getting serious roles when they are younger. But men work forever, like Connery, Eastwood, Freeman, Douglas.
I think it's just harder for women to break into the boy's club, that's all.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:51 PM

Location: it\'s like a puzzle with pans. if you think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
Stick to the bread and let the dudes make the tunes.

[/ QUOTE ]
well there's your answer !
Old 08-31-2005, 05:53 PM

Anyone who said Sarah McLachlan, is a huge [censored].