Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 09:49 AM

Default Re: Vegas pop my cherry ... steakhouses, clubs, bars, etc, comedy

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone been to Bobby Flay's new place at Caesars?

[/ QUOTE ]

Went there for Sunday brunch, and the food was quite good.

On that trip we also ate at Simon in the Hard Rock, China Grill at Mandalay Bay, and Hugo's Cellar at the Four Queens.

China Grill was tasty and also had a good vibe going.

We ate way too early at Simon to gauge the crowd, and I was disappointed with two of the three entrees (but not the sea bass I ordered) but I absolutely loved the soup and other appetizers.

Hugo's was like going into a time warp and eating in 1979. If you want to sample old school dining, check it out.

I need to write up that trip report.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Best meals we had were at Ceasars...Wolfgang Puck's joint and the Italian joint (forgot name) just a little further down. (They had a killer old vine Zinfandel on their wine list)

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean Bertolini's? Right in the middle of the Appian Way shops with a dozen or so patio-style tables?

I have eaten there twice and highly enjoyed the food on both occasions.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Best meals we had were at Ceasars...Wolfgang Puck's joint and the Italian joint (forgot name) just a little further down. (They had a killer old vine Zinfandel on their wine list)

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean Bertolini's? Right in the middle of the Appian Way shops with a dozen or so patio-style tables?

I have eaten there twice and highly enjoyed the food on both occasions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya Bertollini's...artichoke appetizer nice...good value as well.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't think you could eat at Ghost. We usually bribe our way into Ghost or Rain after the N9NES.

[/ QUOTE ]

no need to bribe. run a big bill and they'll let you on the elevator directly up to ghost bar. if you don't get a reservation they also have the full menu at the bar, and will still let you right on the elevator up.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AVP-

Since you're Mr. All Vegas [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img], what have you heard about the Foundation Room at the top of Mandalay Bay? I know it's a private club except for Monday. Is it worth trying to scam a pass for a Saturday night, can this even be done?

[/ QUOTE ]

if there's a house of blues in your city and you know someone who works there, could be possible. i have a friend who's a foundation room member in chicago and he's gotten to go to the one in vegas. that being said, monday's the best night.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
don't go downtown

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, come to think of it, why go to Vegas at all - after all a big chunk of it still "sucks" big time, right?

I'm sure there's WiFi at Club Med or Sandals so all you need to do is to bring your pals and your laptop and you can gamble 24/7 on the sites you already know while overdosing on free drinks and scantily clad babes in a seemless shiny corporately designed leasure environment.

That's what you think the OP wants, right?

Downtown Las Vegas is a @#$% piece of unique, living (and unfortunately) disappering Americana you won't find anywhere else in the world - as opposed to the Strip, computer designed and copied all over the Western World from West Palm Beach, Sun City to Macao.

Somehow Aldous Huxley comes to mind.

McMelchior (Johan)

[/ QUOTE ]

Because there aren't slums anywhere else in the world? Just think for two seconds - do you think a guy who posts about steakhouses, clubs, and bars in Vegas has any interest in seeing the run-down part of Vegas? Downtown Vegas is depressing, not to mention incredibly boring. You enjoy yourself at Binion's. Maybe that's your thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those who need to be entertained (as opposed to those capable of entertaining themselves) will find downtown Vegas depressing and boring. (I remember some self-help guru saying that if you are bored, it is because you are boring, but that is a whole other can of worms.)

The "scene" scene in Vegas is but a small part of the spectrum that the gambling and entertainment world have to offer. Those whose interests are limited to that narrow slice of life are looking for outside stimuli to entertain them while they themselves remain basically (intellectually) passive. I am not saying that there is anything wrong with the "scene", I'm saying that people who want nothing else are leading a narrow life. Space Mountain is a fun but passive experience. Hiking in the mountains is a fun and active experience. I recommend both.

It is difficult for me to imagine that anyone interested in playing poker is not interested in the history and traditions of the game. I read TOP and HOH and the rest, but I also read T.J. and others, as much for the stories as for the strategy.

Downtown Vegas is living history. Like much of our history, it is slowly being eroded away by bigger forces. I urge anyone who can to get down there as soon as possible, and to open your mind to the sights and sounds. And the ghosts.

Reading today's news, it struck me that anyone who has never been to Bourbon Street may never really be able to, although something surely will replace it. Anyone who similarly misses out on Glitter Gulch will be the poorer for it. As anyone who ever saw it before they built that stupid light show can testify.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The "scene" scene in Vegas is but a small part of the spectrum that the gambling and entertainment world have to offer. Those whose interests are limited to that narrow slice of life are looking for outside stimuli to entertain them while they themselves remain basically (intellectually) passive. I am not saying that there is anything wrong with the "scene", I'm saying that people who want nothing else are leading a narrow life. Space Mountain is a fun but passive experience. Hiking in the mountains is a fun and active experience. I recommend both.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm the scene is full of hot women and their equally hot friends! Getting laid is a "fun and active experience" and I highly recommend it!
Old 08-31-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
don't go downtown

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, come to think of it, why go to Vegas at all - after all a big chunk of it still "sucks" big time, right?

I'm sure there's WiFi at Club Med or Sandals so all you need to do is to bring your pals and your laptop and you can gamble 24/7 on the sites you already know while overdosing on free drinks and scantily clad babes in a seemless shiny corporately designed leasure environment.

That's what you think the OP wants, right?

Downtown Las Vegas is a @#$% piece of unique, living (and unfortunately) disappering Americana you won't find anywhere else in the world - as opposed to the Strip, computer designed and copied all over the Western World from West Palm Beach, Sun City to Macao.

Somehow Aldous Huxley comes to mind.

McMelchior (Johan)

[/ QUOTE ]

Because there aren't slums anywhere else in the world? Just think for two seconds - do you think a guy who posts about steakhouses, clubs, and bars in Vegas has any interest in seeing the run-down part of Vegas? Downtown Vegas is depressing, not to mention incredibly boring. You enjoy yourself at Binion's. Maybe that's your thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those who need to be entertained (as opposed to those capable of entertaining themselves) will find downtown Vegas depressing and boring. (I remember some self-help guru saying that if you are bored, it is because you are boring, but that is a whole other can of worms.)

It is difficult for me to imagine that anyone interested in playing poker is not interested in the history and traditions of the game. I read TOP and HOH and the rest, but I also read T.J. and others, as much for the stories as for the strategy.

Downtown Vegas is living history. Like much of our history, it is slowly being eroded away by bigger forces. I urge anyone who can to get down there as soon as possible, and to open your mind to the sights and sounds. And the ghosts.

Reading today's news, it struck me that anyone who has never been to Bourbon Street may never really be able to, although something surely will replace it. Anyone who similarly misses out on Glitter Gulch will be the poorer for it. As anyone who ever saw it before they built that stupid light show can testify.

[/ QUOTE ]

All I'm saying is know your freaking audience. No one posting about wanting to go to clubs and bars has any interest in downtown Vegas (nor does downtown Vegas have anything of note to offer in that regard). Whether or not they can entertain themselves by walking aroun downtown Vegas is completely irrelevant.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since you're Mr. All Vegas , what have you heard about the Foundation Room at the top of Mandalay Bay? I know it's a private club except for Monday. Is it worth trying to scam a pass for a Saturday night, can this even be done?

[/ QUOTE ]

Foundation room used to be a hot spot (late 90's, early 2000's), but frankly it's not what it once was.

The quality of the dining room has declined (I don't even know if they still serve dinner up there). Also, practically anyone can get into the joint by dropping a few bucks these days.

Back in the day the Foundation room really had an exclusive vibe that set it apart from other Vegas clubs. These days, it's not even as nice as the "public" clubs. I would rather go to Ghost Bar.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:01 PM

Beats me who is best - I've only eaten in a few. But Delmonico's at the Venetian was excellent, and I am one picky bastard when it comes to calling steakhouses excellent.

Get the lobster bisque and split the lamb with someone who orders the filet mignon. You want both, but 60% of the lamb. For a medium price wine get the Ridge Lytton Springs 2002 zinfandel, or better the Ridge Geyserville if they have it. Best to get JA Sucker to go with you, but don't bet on the check if he calls out the wine price, dude cost me $200. Also just split everything with Boris. Oh and invite felson. He carries $20s. Very convenient.

Matt