Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 08:46 AM

Default 2 Situations from $22 Rebuy on Stars

1) About 70 people left, top 45 get paid. I'm sitting in 18th-19th place. I have 36000 or so in chips. Blinds are 1000/2000 + ante. Folded to me in the button with Kc-9c. I raise to 8000. Small Blind thinks for a few seconds and then pushes all in. Call for me is going to be 20,000. If I call and lose, I'm down to 4 BBs. Pot odds were pretty good to call. Do you call in this spot?

Reads: This is the second straight time he has done this to me when I'm on the button. The first time was an easy fold for me.

2) 49 people left. 4 to the money. Blinds are 1500/3000 + ante. I am down to about 25,000 (35th-ish place). Q-9 suited on the big blind. Button min-raises to 6000.

Reads: Button is a solid player, been stealing blinds. I'm at a new table, and have played about 10-15 hands, folding everything. I haven't played a hand yet. My image is probably of someone who is content to make the money
Old 08-30-2005, 02:28 PM

Default Re: 2 Situations from $22 Rebuy on Stars

1) I think this is another fold. Would have been an easy fold if you had opened for 6000 instead of 8000. So, why 8000?

2) Need chip count for button to analyze properly.

Later,
Che
Old 08-30-2005, 02:37 PM

hand 1, make it 6k, fold to push

hand 2, how many chips does the button have, who covers who ? Because the play really works when you have the button covered as he might fold some good hands then.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:46 PM

1. Admittedly, a hole in my game. I mix up my raises between 2.5 and 4x on the button, and I think it's because I just don't want to be predictable. I did fold.

2. Button had me outchipped 2:1. Had around 5K
Old 08-30-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you mean 50K.

Given that he can call a push without crippling himself, I like calling preflop. You then have lots of options on the flop while still maintaining a stack with FE if you decide to let him have it.

Later,
Che
Old 08-30-2005, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you mean 50K.

Given that he can call a push without crippling himself, I like calling preflop. You then have lots of options on the flop while still maintaining a stack with FE if you decide to let him have it.

Later,
Che

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I meant 50K.

The reason for the post is that I made a tragic mistake. I pushed back and he called in 0.1 seconds with AA.

If I called, I'd have been in trouble because I would have flopped top pair.

Folding, obviously, was best answer in hindsight. But, I was sick of being a folding machine, and I admittedly was out-classed by the players at the table. I out-thought myself and was done staring at the computer screen like a moron.

Anyway - I guess the point was I was wondering if anyone pushes back with that stack, with similar cards, in that situation, really to just say "I'm here to play and win, and not just make the money." Or was this a complete donk move (I'm fairly sure it was).
Old 08-30-2005, 06:48 PM

I think i like the push..

[ QUOTE ]
Folding, obviously, was best answer in hindsight.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's terrible thinking, forget hindsight... You make plays based on the information you have infront of you.. i'm not saying a push is right, but a fold there seems bad.. especially when your reasoning was that he showed aces.

Anyway, i probably would have pushed too.. but i think Che has a point with calling and playing it that way.