Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 03:38 AM

Default Another check-up

I feel annoying posting all these check ups but a)I'm still new to SnG's and 2) the first check up I posted showed that I should have folded when I thought push was standard.
No read [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

150/300
Total number of players : 4
Seat 1: TD126 (4155)
Hero in BB (1557)
Seat 6: Tank1114 (1365)
Button (923)

Dealt to Hero[ 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ]
Tank1114 folds.
Button raises (923) to 923 all-in
TD126 folds.
Hero calls (773)
Old 08-30-2005, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Another check-up

I would fold this. Your position is great for stealing since the big stack is on your right. Don't take the obvious coin flip here, and push with any two after big stack folds in one of the next hands.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:46 PM

I'm quickly finding that "standard" is subjective.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:51 PM

The blinds are really 75/150? If so it is an autofold.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:52 PM

I had a very similar situation last night (posted)...calling w/ 88. Replies where mixed. In my case, the pusher had me slightly outchipped (and it was 88 of course).

I think your position at the table calls for you to fold this. You'll leave the blinds no lighter than t1100. Better yet, you have both other shortie's on your left. Provided big stack gives you the opportunities, you still have time to abuse the others in their blinds.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:00 PM

I fold here, if the bb was 400 or higher I might consider calling.

[ QUOTE ]

I think your position at the table calls for you to fold this. You'll leave the blinds no lighter than t1100. Better yet, you have both other shortie's on your left. Provided big stack gives you the opportunities, you still have time to abuse the others in their blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]
Interesting. Do you think pushing into small stacks give you more folding equity than pushing into big stacks? Usually I don't think so, but maybe it helps that there are two of them (each one hopes the other one will bust first)?
Old 08-30-2005, 01:22 PM

Thanks for replying. It's funny how sometimes you can take a step back b4 taking 2 forward. When I first started playig SnG's, I would have folded this easy. But when I first started, I usually just coasted ITM. I've learned since that that is bad poker and began pushing very aggressively. Very recently, I've been trying to pick spots to defend against pushes. I thought that this was one of those times.

The most difficult thing to do when learning how to play well is to balance your instincts with principles that you've just begun learning.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it helps that there are two of them (each one hopes the other one will bust first)?

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly...and the fact that the THREE of you have equal'ish stacks. the blinds are not high enough yet for a 'desperate' type call -- same reason for advocating your fold on this one.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:26 PM

thanks
Old 08-30-2005, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The most difficult thing to do when learning how to play well is to balance your instincts with principles that you've just begun learning.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is also the difficulty in posting.

Often it is the case that I'll post something different to what I would do because of the strengths and weaknesses of both myself and of the poster.

In this situation, derdo's post is the best advice. You fold mainly because you have such a great position to just get chips back at will.
Because of your great seat, your folding equity is more important to you than usual and so calling for a likely coin toss has a bigger downside than it would have in some apparently similar situations.

Both of your main opponents have to raise through the big stack in order to build up... either that or fight each other.

Lori