Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What do you do with 66?
Reraise. 0 0%
Call. 0 0%
Fold. 32 60.38%
I wouldn't have bet this flop. 6 11.32%
I wouldn't have raised preflop. 15 28.30%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2005, 08:25 PM

Default Poll which hand is better, A10 unsuited or A8 suited

Assume you are on the button and go to steal the blinds middle-late in a tourney. A short stack reraises all in, you immediatly call because you are offered 1-4 pot odds.

Which hand would you rather have: A10 unsuited or A8 suited.

I think many people would say A10, however I disagree. It is true that A8 is dominated by 4 more hands, 88, 99, A9, and A10. A10 is roughly 25% better against those hands than A8 suited and tied with everything else. However A8 is 4% better against every other hand, whether AJ, 55, KK, KQ etc, because any two suited cards have 4-5% chance of making a flush which basically improves it winning percentage a flat 4-5%. Having a 4-5% win rate increase against every other possible hand, whether AA or 23, is a greater than having a 25% improvement on just four hands. A10 also has a 1% advantage of filling in a straight that A8 doesnt. However A8 suited is still better in my opinion in most situations than A10, whether in the above situation or earlier in the tourney trying to make a big hand.

I think A10 unsuited is equal to A7 suited and quite a bit better than A6-A2 suited.

Thoughts?
Old 08-29-2005, 08:34 PM

Default Re: Poll which hand is better, A10 unsuited or A8 suited

[ QUOTE ]
I think many people would say A10, however I disagree.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd be wrong.

ATo vs:
Random hand: 62.7%
Top 30% of hands: 56.0%
Any pair or any two broadway cards: 47.9%

A8s vs:
Random hand: 61.9%
Top 30% of hands: 51.8%
Any pair or any two broadway cards: 45.9%

It's not a truly major difference, but it's not particularly close either.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:42 PM

I see why. I failed to take into account that A10 unsuited still has a 1-2% chance of making a four card flush with either suit, plus the 1% straight or so, which makes it significanlty better. It still pretty close to even on the stats (by the way, where did you get those?). Maybe A9 suited is about dead even with A10.

The reason I ask as it seems people always make moves with A9, KQ and A10 suited. But they almost never flip up A9 or A10 unsuited, even though the latter is three times more common. It seems like people overrate hands that are suited too much.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:43 AM

Another reason I prefer ATo over A8s is that it seems folks are much more likely to fold when there's a flush on the board and calling down bottom straight/two-pair/set on KQJ, thus making more money with AT.