Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Floating DERB

can someone explain the turn bet to me?
Old 08-29-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
can someone explain the turn bet to me?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's ahead (probably).
Old 08-29-2005, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the reason i wanted to raise the turn and call it down is because im one of those exact people that DERB makes money off of (stats wise). he/she/it overplays all kinds of hands that cannot beat ace high in order to get a low pair or exactly ace high to fold. 3betting preflop increases the size of the pot and increases DERB's likelihood of getting tricky after the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Since you know that he will try to push you off your hand and intend to get to a showdown, you should want to encourage him to "get tricky" and spew chips with a worse hand than your ace high. I don't see how increasing the chance of him doing this is a disadvantage, given that you know that it is what he does and will counter this tendency correctly.

EDIT: Also, since you are often going to be playing showdown poker against him postflop, building the pot preflop makes your postflop strategy more correct.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really understand most of this thread. It seems like people have the attitude that the way to beat DERB is by playing bad. Cold calling with marginal hands and deciding then and there to go to showdown isn't a winning strategy against anyone but the craziest of crazies. The way to beat DERB is to play strong hands against him, punish him for overplaying, and not paying off too big when he makes a big hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Paluka is absolutely right. I just want to add that DERB is a winning player exactly because of this 'let's isolate the fish with marginal hands' attitude. Fold your Ax and move on.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't really understand most of this thread. It seems like people have the attitude that the way to beat DERB is by playing bad. Cold calling with marginal hands and deciding then and there to go to showdown isn't a winning strategy against anyone but the craziest of crazies. The way to beat DERB is to play strong hands against him, punish him for overplaying, and not paying off too big when he makes a big hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said. We all are eager to get our hands in against the fish, but instead we should be eager to get up against the fish the our good hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes wasn't this specifically mentioned in HPFAP or TOP (been a while) that you need to tighten up against loose-aggressives, not loosen up?

And I find it hard to believe that A4 is much above the average range of DERB's raising hands. You're (essentially) behind to all his ace hands and all his pairs, and you're only marginally ahead of his 'two big card' hands like JQ QK, etc.

So letting the blinds in cheap seems like a clear mistake. And planning preflop to automatically going to showdown with a weak ace no matter what is a great way to keep DERB in chips for a long, long time.

-Scott
Old 08-29-2005, 07:22 PM

From what I have read about this player (only this thread), I don't understand your turn bet. I would like to hear more about it.

It seems to me that you are getting checkraised a ton here, and if DERB has any sense postflop at all he will checkraise both as a bluff and with a strong hand here some. It also seems like he's not folding very often at all, and the pot is quite small. I really like checking behind on the turn and calling a river bet much better than betting it (again, based on what I've read in this thread of this player).
Old 08-31-2005, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Paluka is absolutely right. I just want to add that DERB is a winning player exactly because of this 'let's isolate the fish with marginal hands' attitude. Fold your Ax and move on.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the part I still don't understand. Doesn't A4s figure to be much better than the range of hands DERB would open raise with in late position? I mean, the guy open raises J7s UTG. It just seems to me that folding A4s with position against this opponent is giving up too much, no?