Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2005, 08:05 PM

Default Quickie narrow questions

Live 4/8

Pick up QQ in BB, 4 limpers, CO raises to 8, Botton and SB fold, I reraise, limpers fold, CO caps, I call

Reads/images - CO is fairly tight for a low limit game, could have AK, AA, KK, his reraise is not a bluff against me because my image was fairly tight and he seemed one to be paying attention

Flop QQT, making quads for me

Simple question - am I betting or checking the flop?

My thoughts:

1. If he has AA or KK he's obviously betting this flop

2. If I check/call or check raise CO puts me on a Q or AA

3. If I bet the flop and he has KK or AA he isn't laying it down and he probably raises

4. If he has an overpair, he's got only two "outs" where he would go several bets heads up, so the odds of making a huge killing here are pretty long

So what's my best betting sequence here?

-------------------------------------------------

Second question

Same table, small 3 way pot ($12-$2 rake), I have position (against SB and BB)

Flop - 33K, all check
Turn 4, all check
River 4, all check, (no flush draw)

That's my hand there, nothing I have improves this. I'm fairly certain that if either of the other players has an ace, they would have bet the flop and certainly would have bet the turn. So I'm thinking 3 way split unless I bet.

Do you bet the river here and throw $8 in to try to steal the $10? (Yes, I had already decided that I would call a raise.)

If all call the rake will be $4. Is that a factor in your decision?
Old 08-28-2005, 08:47 PM

Default Re: Quickie narrow questions

As to the first hand...

Your goals on this hand should be to try and get your opponent to put in 3 BB or more overall. You really don't want to encourage an early fold, but at the same time you don't want to miss opportunities to pick up bets.

Waiting to check-raise the turn, for example, looks fishy because that's how everyone and their mother at the low limits likes to play flopped trips.

Check-raising the flop will likely shut down your opponent as well, though it might not encourage a fold.

Personally, I like a bet here. I don't see AA, KK, or AK folding right off the bat. AA and KK might often raise, which would be great. AK will want to hang out and hit the gutshot.

You have a fair amount of freedom here because small stakes folks don't like to lay down AA or KK ever, so you won't have to work that hard to get paid. I like a bet because villain will often not put you on a Q and raise it up and then you can make some real money.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:00 PM

Hand 1: With your read betting out is probably best and hope to be raised. If I thought villain has a wider range I would probably check/call the flop and check/raise the turn.

Hand 2: You're getting a lousy price for your money. A caller often beats you. Rake is another factor devaluing your money. I wouldn't bet it. There's another hand right around the corner.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:44 PM

Thanks for the input.

FYI I bet the flop on hand 1, got raised, called the raise and extracted a bet on both the turn and river. I think that's as good as I was going to do there but I had to ask if anyone can think of a better way.

Hand 2 was really more of a people-read than situational or anything else. I was pretty sure based upon my reads that the two blinds didn't hit anything so I bet and they both folded thinking I had a K (or so one of them said). A factor in my decision was that I did not show down an ugly hand so I had a decent table image. I doubt that I would make that play all the time or if the players involved were new to the table but it seemed right at the time.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:59 PM

Hand 1 I would lead the turn hoping to get raised then check raise the turn and lead the river. I think AA or KK is going to call you down.