Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 03:38 PM

Default Re: Bankroll requirements

I'm currently at 800 and I seem to do better at 3/6 6 max than 1/2 full ring. Perhaps it's because I am so bad. How do you deal with the variance? Perhaps I should understand I'm in this for the long haul.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm currently at 800 and I seem to do better at 3/6 6 max than 1/2 full ring. Perhaps it's because I am so bad. How do you deal with the variance? Perhaps I should understand I'm in this for the long haul.

[/ QUOTE ]

6 max=much more enjoyable for me. mostly because i get to raise a lot. i deal with variance by having an adequate bankroll and sulking when my pokergraph is bad fro the day and then going to sleep. i love dealing with variance in +ev situations. it makes for more fun.

rj
Old 08-29-2005, 03:50 PM

My biggest issue is dealing with the variance. Adequate bankrolls are fine but it seems I deal with my play on a daily basis rather than looking at it in the long term. How do you guys keep the mindset that you must look at results weekly, monthly, yearly as opposed to each session? Or am I missing something completely fundamental?
Old 08-29-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My biggest issue is dealing with the variance. Adequate bankrolls are fine but it seems I deal with my play on a daily basis rather than looking at it in the long term. How do you guys keep the mindset that you must look at results weekly, monthly, yearly as opposed to each session? Or am I missing something completely fundamental?

[/ QUOTE ]

Friend: Did you win today?
Me: I dunno, I think so
Friend: How much?
Me: I dunno
Friend: You wouldn't, you monkey.
Me: I dunno

When the thousands digit of your bankroll doesn't usually change on a daily basis, it's easy (and healthier, IMO) to be generally unaware of what happens day-to-day.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i make graphs allthe time and look at them. if i get sad my 1 day sucked i look at the "ALL 3/6 6max hands" graph and feel much better. then i look at all the little dips on the way up and realize that the last session was just one of those dips, and figure that it will be corrected soon enough.

rj
Old 08-31-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i make graphs allthe time and look at them. if i get sad my 1 day sucked i look at the "ALL 3/6 6max hands" graph and feel much better. then i look at all the little dips on the way up and realize that the last session was just one of those dips, and figure that it will be corrected soon enough.

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

I do the same thing, I love that graph thread. I also look at my own graph over the last 150k hands and see the 20k hand breakeven streak, several +150bb downswing. Then I look at my total BB won and I feel much better