Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2005, 10:14 PM

Default Decoding PFR

I need a primer on how best to make use of Pre-Flop Raise %.

Although arguably the 2nd most important statistic, it's not so obvious how to translate it into game adjustment.

Best would be a direct translation into a range of hands (I think there was a thread awhile back on this). Some problems with that idea:

1) You don't know how -- or if -- your opponent varies hands by position.

2) Your opponent may not rank hands correctly. He may be raising 12% of his hands, but which 12%? He may think 76 suited outranks two eights.

3) Opponent may not play consistently. Overall he raises 12%, but that's 4% when he's winning and 20% when losing, which is often.

Just one example of how PFR links to other stats: a common good customer type found in short handed games is someone with a high VPIP (50+), but a PFR close to zero. Generally, he's raising with only the top three or so (if that), but if his steal % is significant -- say 30% -- what can you conclude about his hand range when he open raises at the cutoff?
Old 08-27-2005, 10:30 PM

Default Re: Decoding PFR

[ QUOTE ]
3) Opponent may not play consistently. Overall he raises 12%, but that's 4% when he's winning and 20% when losing, which is often.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't see why this stat would be important.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Decoding PFR

Do a search, I know for fact that there have been several threads about this topic.