Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2005, 08:44 PM

Default Movin on up

So, I played roughly 22,000 hands at 1/2 6 (max) at 2.1BB/100 I am moving up to 3/6 (6 max) and I was wondering if there is anything I need to do to change my game that would help with the transition, or is the game relatively the same?

Thanks
Old 08-28-2005, 08:46 PM

Default Re: Movin on up

there is less stupid aggression at 3/6. there is more need for table selection.

you need the emotional bankroll to jump 3x in limits. i'd suggest at least hitting up 2/4 for a few thousand hands. a 200BB downswing at any point is not only possible but would cripple your bankroll.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:50 PM

The amount of discipline you have shown is amazing. To play 22K hands, and have a solid winning record, and not be tempted to move up sooner - that's discipline.

Frankly, I don't know if it is smart though. Why didn't you move up much earlier - say after 5,000 hands? I know 5,000 hands (record-wise) doesn't mean that much, but just from playing, you should have known you have a solid edge over your opponents at that level.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:30 PM

Actually, I am being bankrolled, so the bank roll isn't a problem. The idea was to play 1/2 until I had the hang of 6 max.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:34 PM

I'd suggest playing 1-2 tables while you get adjusted to the new limit. Or perhaps 2 tables of 1/2 6 max and 1 tables of 3/6 6 max. Slowly incorporate the 3/6 tables in the span of a week or so.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:44 PM

Let me rephrase.

When I wrote : [ QUOTE ]
Frankly, I don't know if it is smart though.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was referring to having so much discipline and waiting so long to move up. It's even more shocking that you had to be bankrolled to be convinced to move up.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:49 PM

Well, that was because he rolled me for a certain amount, and wanted to be sure that I was good enough to be bankrolled. I would have moved up sooner, but he wanted to make sure I had a large enough sample, and as he is rolling me... well.... I can't really say no.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:48 PM

One big difference is the blind structure. You should limp and defend from the SB less.

The play is pretty bad still, but it is not nearly as bad as 1/2, so it might take a little getting used to. There are more tight multitablers and less complete fish.

As was mentioned earlier, table selection is more important. I started using my buddy list more. At 1/2 it really was not necessary because almost all of the tables were so good.