Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 08:18 PM

Default Would you call here? AQ top pair lots of action

just moved back to this table, no real read. I was really glad to see this flop with this many people so I just min bet to build a huge pot and then the action went wild.

I figured I had to be beat by a minimum 2 pair or a set?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

Hero (t3145)
MP1 (t1250)
MP2 (t2410)
<font color="#C00000">MP3 (t1565)</font>
<font color="#C00000">CO (t2315)</font>
Button (t1720)
SB (t2840)
BB (t1400)
UTG (t1590)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls t30, Hero calls t30, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls t30, CO calls t30, Button calls t30, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t210) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t30</font>, MP3 calls t30, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t300</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, Hero calls t270, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to t1535</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t2285</font>, Hero ?
Old 08-26-2005, 08:39 PM

Default Re: Would you call here? AQ top pair lots of action

I would fold this because the pot was unraised. The range each of them is on includes hands that turned into sets and two pair on the flop. I raise preflop, 3x the bb, in early position and lead out 1/2 to 3/4 of the pot on a Q high flop.

Why did you just call preflop? Betting 30 on the flop may have drawn out the crazy hands this hand, but I can't see how it's consistently sound strategy.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:47 PM

Well, Let's see:

We have top pair best kicker which is good.

You only limped in rather than making a standard raise and there are six other people in the pot who can have anything very bad news.

You have a alot of chips for your blind level and going through with this hand can destroy your hard earned stack if you are beat.

If there are up against one or two players in a pot that was raised preflop. This would be a good time to double up. Against six limpers, top pair weakens. This hans is fold to me. It's not an easy fold but it's a fold that I won't regret.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:54 PM

Easy fold.
I don't think the EP limp is awful, but you need to pot the flop.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:57 PM

No raise preflop?! You might of had the best starting hand at the table but you are beat now hands down. Fold it and dont look back. With all that action sit back and enjoy the show.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:01 PM

I think mp3 has a set or JT and CO has AA, KK or JT.

I would raise preflop was well, but someone easily would have you beat regardless, I'm pretty sure.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:14 PM

Your pre-flop call is fine, your trying to keep the pot small early on and not get overly aggressive with the blinds at 15/30. (especially without a read on UTG) I would have flat called as well. On the flop, Im check/calling this down. However, I think your weak 30 bet is awful. Your not going to accomplish anything by doing this. As it happened, Im folding after the raise and re-raise.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:32 PM

Easiest fold in the world with all of that action in front of you. Regardless of how you played the hand up to this point, you can confidently fold knowing you do not have the best hand anymore.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:11 PM

I just called because my AQ was unsuited and I am in early position. I am not going to go crazy here with a hand that could be easily dominated by AA, KK or QQ for that matter.

In an unopened pot in later positions I will raise with this hand, but up front unless short-handed I will almost always limp with unsuited AQ.

The reason I min bet was because I felt I probably did have the best hand and wanted to build a pot on a seemingly bland flop. If someone goes crazy I can re-evaluate the strength of my hand.

It was an easy fold. I figured I had one of the two beat, but the odds that someone had me beat were too great for me to call this. The initial all-in had a set and the second all-in, whom I though I probably had beat, had TP weaker kicker.
Old 08-27-2005, 03:25 PM

With TPTK in a massive multiway pot, you shouldn't be looking to build a pot, you should be looking to take it down. That flop is not bland-- it's full of straight draws, and since seven people saw the flop it could have hit them in all sorts of ways. You have no idea about the strength of anyone's hand, and if you limp PF to keep the pot small, you should now take it down since your hand is probably good.
I bet 150-200 here on the flop and fold to heavy action (like the kind you got).
The PF limp is fine; raising UTG+1 with AQo early can get you into trouble.