Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 02:02 PM

Default What is your play here, you are bet into after raising pf?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

SB ($108)
BB ($201.75)
Hero ($203.05)
MP ($86.40)
Button ($109.45)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, MP calls $4, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) calls $3.50, BB calls $3.

Flop: ($16) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $15</font>.

Final Pot: $31
Old 08-26-2005, 02:09 PM

Default Re: What is your play here, you are bet into after raising pf?

Its a tough spot because there is another player in the hand and many straight draws are there. So you have the risk of raising your hand to protect it against draws but you lose value against lesser made hands and walk happily to a big pot against better made hands. If you chose to just call you give a good price to a draw but extract more value from KQ and KJ, and lose less against two pair or a set. That said I think I would just call and evaluate on the turn, but Im not sure of the right line here.

Edit: I tought it was 3 handed, so I think it make it a raise 4 handed.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:14 PM

I think there are too many people here to just call. If he had a monster, wouldn't he want to CR your bet so he could get more people into the pot? I think it's a weaker pair or draw. I would raise to 40.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he had a monster, wouldn't he want to CR your bet so he could get more people into the pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Leading into UTG preflop raisers with big hands, especially on boards that look like the raiser connected with, is a fairly good way to get lots of money in the pot.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:27 PM

In my experience it is 2 pair or sometimes trips.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:30 PM

judging from your stack, you and villain both been at the table for a while ... So you must have some sort of read on him?

If you think he knows what he´s doing - fold it. The pot sized bet would indicate to me that he´s got a made hand.

He got some nice odds to call preflop so he could very well be holding 2 pair, or maybe a set and hoping that one of the three players made some sort of hand and will pay him off.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:44 PM

My read was "wreckless"... he lucked up and hit some cards to bust a guy.. which is how he got his stack. Interesting though.. I don't see folding when i've hit the hand I want just because he has bet.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think there are too many people here to just call. If he had a monster, wouldn't he want to CR your bet so he could get more people into the pot? I think it's a weaker pair or draw. I would raise to 40.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not sure this is true, it is player dependent. A lot of good players at this level would lead a set or something that beats Top pair hoping the prefloop raiser had AK. I would consider that line if I had a set. Not saying I would fold, but I would be careful. I would probably call flop and proceed with caution.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:32 PM

Alright, and now what do you do here?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

SB ($108)
BB ($201.75)
Hero ($203.05)
MP ($86.40)
Button ($109.45)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, MP calls $4, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) calls $3.50, BB calls $3.

Flop: ($16) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $15</font>, Hero calls $15, MP calls $15, SB folds.

Turn: ($61) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $50</font>.

Final Pot: $111
Old 08-26-2005, 03:45 PM

Not sure which bet you're referring to, but if you're not willing to fold to the 50 bet on a blank turn card, then you need to be raising the flop.

Your hand isn't likely to improve much on the turn, so I'd raise the flop and fold to reraise. If he flat calls, I'd put him on JQ and bet big if the turn blanks and he checks.