Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2005, 10:23 PM

Default Bad beat or bad betting?

I sat down at a table and this was 5 hands in. No read on villian, but the table was more tight than loose. Villian hadn't bet a hand to that point.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (3.40 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls.

Turn: (3.20 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls.

I put him on a set of 3's or two pair when he raised. I re-raised to see if he had the set. When he caps, I realize I'm in trouble.

River: (11.20 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 19.20 BB

New life with the river card. I feel at this point that I have him with a higher full house. Wrong!

How was this played? Looking back at PokerTracker, villian ended up as a rock. How would you play this differently if you knew this beforehand?
Old 08-25-2005, 10:30 PM

Default Re: Bad beat or bad betting?

Well, what 2-pair hand do you put him on given the turn action? He's not going to be limping there with J3, 73, or 93 is he? The only other 2-pair hand you beat now is 79 but he would likely raise this on the flop.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How was this played? Looking back at PokerTracker, villian ended up as a rock. How would you play this differently if you knew this beforehand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't reveal the results before posters have a chance to respond. It will skew alot of the responses that you get.

Regarding the hand, there's nothing you can do. He sure played this like a flopped set/bigger boat. If he has nines he has nines, I don't think there's any way to get away from this hand, especially when you make your full house on the end. If I've got a full house I'm getting as much money in the middle as I can, unless I'm holding the bottom card of a double-paired board. If you're not going to bet with a boat what are you going to bet?

You run into these situations here and there and that's poker. It will cost you alot more in the long run if you play top two pair/non-nut boats timidly.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:38 PM

If you change the way you play these hands based on the fact that you obviously lost this one, you're going to wind up losing a lot of money. The fact that Villan is statistically a rock is immaterial; the only thing that would change this is if you had a read that Villan will NEVER raise the turn like this with anything short of top set.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:42 PM

i would have c/r the riv.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:57 PM

I'm not going to play this differently because I lost. I posted this to see if I lost too much money due to the WAY I played/bet. I would play this the same way again if put in the same situation. However, I would like to correct my mistakes if I made some.