Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2005, 01:35 AM

Default Re: Tonights show and my attire?!?

Well, tonights show was a bit crazy - to be honest, Bart and I were a bit hesitant to be critical of players tonight, especially considering our lack of experience playing at that level. Like I said, the highest limit i've ever played on a regular basis is 80-160. Having said that, it was hard to bite our tongue tonight. i figured the play would be aggresive - but it was so loose, it was ridiculous.

as for my attire - I lost a bet. What can I say? I never welch...

tomorrow Bart, shirley and myself will be playing in the media invitational - we have a $100 last longer.

Thanks for watching tonight - we really do appreciate it!
Old 08-25-2005, 02:02 AM

Default Re: Tonights show and my attire?!?

[ QUOTE ]
Well, tonights show was a bit crazy - to be honest, Bart and I were a bit hesitant to be critical of players tonight, especially considering our lack of experience playing at that level. Like I said, the highest limit i've ever played on a regular basis is 80-160. Having said that, it was hard to bite our tongue tonight. i figured the play would be aggresive - but it was so loose, it was ridiculous.

as for my attire - I lost a bet. What can I say? I never welch...

tomorrow Bart, shirley and myself will be playing in the media invitational - we have a $100 last longer.

Thanks for watching tonight - we really do appreciate it!

[/ QUOTE ]

If you take a bunch of guys with $20k bankrolls and put them in a 4-8 live game with a camera on them, well, they'll ham it up. I think most of these guys were playing down to that scale, with the exclusion of those who are hundreds of times richer than that.

~D
Old 08-25-2005, 05:56 AM

Default Johhny Chan hits the Jackpot

At around 2am the jackpot was hit on the live table. The limits had been moved up to 500-1000. The board contained 3 aces and Barry greenstein's AK beat Johhny Chan's pocket tens. Although the jackpot pool for 10-20 and above was $40,000 Johnny Chan netted a measly $13K as he lost ~$7000 in the pot.

Bart
Old 08-25-2005, 08:00 AM

Default Re: Johhny Chan hits the Jackpot

[ QUOTE ]
At around 2am the jackpot was hit on the live table. The limits had been moved up to 500-1000. The board contained 3 aces and Barry greenstein's AK beat Johhny Chan's pocket tens. Although the jackpot pool for 10-20 and above was $40,000 Johnny Chan netted a measly $13K as he lost ~$7000 in the pot.

Bart

[/ QUOTE ]

After watching the play, I felt it was worth sticking around. I didn't get into the game until around 1 A.M., but I had a nice win. I quit at 3:30 to let Mimi Tran take my seat, since we try to avoid playing in the same game.

Some notes:

1. Both the viewers and all the announcers need to get better at understanding how things would appear if we didn't see the hole cards. I was accurately detailing Bob's (seat 1) play, but the players at the table often didn't have the luxury of seeing his hands on pots that he won, because there was no call on the river. We (viewing his hole cards) could see that if he bet the whole way, he wasn't bluffing. The players needed to infer what we were able to see because he occasionally checked in normal betting situations when he raised before the flop and checked when he didn't flop anything.

2. It is very important in limit hold'em to know who will bet the flop and the turn with nothing, and who will check on the turn after they are called on the flop. This is especially critical information in higher-limit games, where raises are often delayed until the turn with good hands and drawing hands. I didn't do a good job of citing that. On one hand, Tuan called with nothing on the flop against Yosh because he anticipated a check on the turn and he planned on taking the pot away on the river.

Barry
Old 08-25-2005, 01:22 PM

Default Re: Tipping?

[ QUOTE ]
As one of the "little people", if it wasn't for Rick Nebiol(i)o, I doubt they'd even know of us. The good old days when a thread would cover several days and a different forum seem so long ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm amazed how few in or close to (my status) the card club business surf 2+2. That said, I was under the impression you are on the Bike's payroll. If not, you should be [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Sounds like it was a good night for Live at Bike, hope it's up on the archives by tomorrow night so Hero and I can watch it.

~ Rick

PS Intended to surf 2+2 for an hour this morning to catch up. These days, one can never catch up with 2+2 without nine lives.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:40 PM

Barry, it was great to listen to your analysis of several of the hands in the game last night. I was hoping you'd stick around and continue it for an hour or two at least, but I guess we needed to hear Dolly talk about how he plays against young Internet players for the billionth time (BART!). I hope you can find the time to jump into the booth during a future 400-800 game.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:01 PM

The game became 500-1000 at little after 9pm.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:02 PM

Damn - I wish Barry jumped in while it was still on the air. Next time Barry!!
Old 08-25-2005, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Tipping?

Before the game started last night, each of the players put $200 a piece into a pool that was to be used for collections, tips, and jackpot drops. Each dealer was given their tip (same for all dealers) after they left the table.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Will I come on the show again?

[ QUOTE ]
Damn - I wish Barry jumped in while it was still on the air. Next time Barry!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Dave and Bart have a lot of enthusiasm for what they are doing, and they put in a lot of effort and preparation. I don't think it's fair for me to bump one of them off just so I can have fun with it. If I am around (which I rarely am these days), I am willing to help with the analysis when they have a big game.

In the future, I may do a longer stint with Shirley on one show, since she and I have been friends for a few years. I think we would work well together. Again, I would only want to do this for the 400-800 game, since I didn't feel Dave and Bart were experienced enough as players to add some insight that I could. (Before I came on, I was feeding them some things to say.)

I also had a neat idea. I have almost all the 400-800 players' cell phone numbers. If they made a play that looked strange, I would call them up while in the booth and ask them, "What were you thinking?" I think they would give me more insightful answers than if Bart or Dave or almost anyone else asked them. (I have played with, loaned money to, and been sought out for advice from almost all of them.)

Barry