Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 10:16 PM

Default Re: AQo online 15-30 against unknown

The fish is hardly ever folding after limping the first palce. Additionally, we hope that the 3 bet might induce an incorrect fold from a hand like KJ after a raggedy flop. IMO, i think it's a far superior play, but i respect if you don't agree.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"The board pairing is almost annoying becasue now we have to call down with what is a likely loser and tie at best. There is also a tiny bit in value in seeing what unknow capped with. The donks cap with lots of crap, I guess we find out if this guy qualifies here."

that's exactly what i was thinking. check-folding the flop just doesnt work for me here though sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

I most certainly did not recommend check folding this flop.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:33 PM

Just call it down all the way.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:36 PM

IMO folding here is terrible and 3 betting is best. I don't really see how this is close at all either. Rasiers range is very very wide and includes a ton of hands AQ dominates. Limper is staying no matter what, crazy not to get him to put in another bet in a hand we very likely have the best of. Of course after the raiser caps it is a different story.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:58 PM

Eh, this kind of flop just sucks - you don't like it, but you can't just check-fold every time either. I don't like the flop bet very much, since fishy MP3 will probably tie himself in with just about any two cards. With a non-fish the bet is fine since he'll be worried about putting in two more to see the turn.

I'd probably checkraise the flop and bet out on the turn. This will put more pressure on fishy and give CO a reason to lay down a hand like AK. If he raises you on the turn you can check-fold unimproved on the river.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why did you bet the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

My sentiments exactly. Isn't this a clear miss? IMO fold and be done with it.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:16 AM

I'm not to sure about the flop and turn plays (too tired to look closely) but it seems you call the river hoping to beat big non ace spades or tie hands such as AsKs, AsQs, AsJs. I think you're potstuck enough to make it correct.

~ Rick
Old 08-25-2005, 07:59 AM

I haven't read all the post but I'll provide you guys with some of my thoughts.

Pre-Flop: There's only a couple of hands here which the unknown will have. He either have a pair or AK. To cap the SB usually you'll need something real strong, AK is one of them and a mid or big pair is another. Would anyone actually cap here with AJs or KQs? If so, how can you distinguish them from players that don't?

Flop: I don't see the point of betting the flop cause you totally missed and you're probably behind if the person has AK. You won't make anyone fold here either. My move here is check/call.

Turn: Since the board did pair up and the pot is pretty big, I'm calling it to see what he has even though I'm pretty sure I'm behind. Since he's a unknown and the pot size is pretty big I'm calling it down to the river just to get some information from him. My best hope is a chop but you gain that crucial information from him the next time he caps.

Thoughts?
Old 08-25-2005, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pre-Flop: There's only a couple of hands here which the unknown will have. He either have a pair or AK. To cap the SB usually you'll need something real strong, AK is one of them and a mid or big pair is another. Would anyone actually cap here with AJs or KQs? If so, how can you distinguish them from players that don't?.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about this. In the cutoff, many players are going to make raises of a single limper with a fairly wide range of hands. Once three-bet by a blind they at least call, but decent and/or aggro players will sometimes (perhaps often) throw a curve by capping with position. The play only costs one small bet, and usually pays dividends later. I make it often.

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: I don't see the point of betting the flop cause you totally missed and you're probably behind if the person has AK. You won't make anyone fold here either. My move here is check/call.

[/ QUOTE ]

mike's three-bet out of position looks about equally strong (to an opponent) as a cap with postion. If mike just checks, he's almost telling his opponent he is pairless. Betting is reasonable.

[ QUOTE ]
Turn: Since the board did pair up and the pot is pretty big, I'm calling it to see what he has even though I'm pretty sure I'm behind. Since he's a unknown and the pot size is pretty big I'm calling it down to the river just to get some information from him. My best hope is a chop but you gain that crucial information from him the next time he caps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree with most of turn and river analysis except I think mike l. could pick off hands such as KsQs or KsJs and win the pot.

~ Rick
Old 08-25-2005, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Assume CO is an average 30 player. In my experience his cap means we are behind on this flop 95%+ of the time. In many cases we are completey dominated. I just do not see this getting capped with worse than AQs by a reasonable player almost ever.

I would check call the flop and often check fold the turn. In this case the board pairs so we are chop with AK it is ok to call down, but if that did not happen I am usually check folding this turn unimproved.

As far a playing and trying to fold out a better hand, it

[/ QUOTE ]

I have noticed a trend recently where reasonable tight aggressive players cap with any pocket pair in 3-way pots. I've seen it at least 3 or 4 times in the past week.