Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 11:24 AM

Default KQoff on button hand

Blinds 150/300

MP 6K
SB 14K
BB 3K
<font color="red">Hero 9K on button </font>

Hero dealt K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

MP limps, <font color="red"> Hero raises to 2K </font> SB calls, BB folds

Two players, Pot: 3600

Flop: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Qs

<font color="red">Hero bets 2000 </font>, SB calls
<font color="blue">This is where i think i screwed up, thoughts? </font>

Turn: A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
check, check

River: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
SB goes all in, <font color="red"> Hero folds. </font>
Old 08-24-2005, 01:42 PM

Default Re: KQoff on button hand

bump
Old 08-24-2005, 01:56 PM

push the flop
Old 08-24-2005, 01:57 PM

I'm not a huge winning player, but my immediate thoughts are that your raise pre-flop was too big since you were committing just under a quarter of your stack to the hand. I'd probably raise 3 to 4x the big blind here to give myself room to get away from a reraise and to keep the pot small enough to get away from. KQ off is going to miss the flop most of the time.

I'd jump for joy when that flop hits. Your bet on the flop was half the pot and just under a third of your stack, making the SB call 2K to win a 6k+ flop with a high probability that you will commit the rest of your chips on the turn or river. Given your stack size, I'd go all in when that Q-high flop hits to prevent your big-stacked opponent from chasing with overs or a draw. He also might think the overbet is a bluff and call with hands that you beat.

Somebody else will have to comment on the turn and river decisions. The Ace is scary and you have chips to go on after the hand, but I think an all in on the flop would have prevented you from having to face that decision.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:58 PM

My first instinct is that your opponent sees this as a big preflop raise and then a continuation bet/bluff on the flop.

After you checked through on the turn, he feels you're weak and moves in on you.

Did he make aggressive moves like this in the past?
Old 08-24-2005, 04:01 PM

I didn't see him as extremely aggressive but i was thinking that he was doing exately as someone commented, he saw me as weak so he moved in on me on the river....so now thinking that...

Does anybody call that river bet?

Didn't bug me too much cause i ended up finishing 2nd in the tourney and took a nice check for it [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2005, 07:49 PM

Rather than Push after the Flop. Why not Fire at the turn? I do think he probally [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]played you on the River when he missed his Flush. I say fire again on the turn if he is on the draw he probally folds. Then if you check the river he would have to be concerned about you slowplaying a monster. Any thoughts?
Old 08-24-2005, 08:05 PM

I would have raised a little less pre-flop, somewhere in the range of 900-1200.. unless you wanted to make it look like a steal, then the overbet is okay I guess.

You definitely have the best hand on the flop unless he was playing with a pair of 2's.. but I doubt he'd have that.. if he had AQ or JJ or QQ he would have probably re-raised pre-flop 3 handed.. and since you have already have a Q, the AQ and QQ are less plausible.

On the flop, I would have bet a little more, maybe even went all-in

If he wasn't playing extremely aggressive, I don't think he would have made a move on you with just an Ace-high and call your bet on the flop.. after the scare card on the turn and river, he probably thought it was a good opportunity to push..

his betting pattern didn't seem to indicate he had you beat.. Call/Call/Check/All-in.. seems like he may have been on a draw