Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 07:12 PM

Default The Intelligent Investor

I went to my library and picked up a copy of this book today. I never read a book about economics/investing before so this will be my first. The problem is that the only edition they have is the 1965 one. Is there any real big problem with reading an old edition of this book? I think another library has the 1985 edition so I'll check it out tomorrow. What do you think? Do these books have any information that can't be applied today?
Old 08-24-2005, 08:19 PM

Default Re: The Intelligent Investor

All reading is good!
Old 08-24-2005, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I went to my library and picked up a copy of this book today. I never read a book about economics/investing before so this will be my first. The problem is that the only edition they have is the 1965 one. Is there any real big problem with reading an old edition of this book? I think another library has the 1985 edition so I'll check it out tomorrow. What do you think? Do these books have any information that can't be applied today?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so, but it's been a while since I read it. My only warning is that Graham can be very dry, with my limited attention span TII is something at times i've more skimmed than read and have to reread occasionally to get more out of. But there is "value" there, if you excuse the pun.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:19 PM

Ok, I couldn't wait so I just went to the other library and checked out their 1985 edition which should be "better" than the older one. Thanks for the replies...ok reading now.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:46 PM

I am halfway through mine, it is the 2003 one with commentary on each chapter, I like it as it is a little more up to date and less dry that the original would be.

Good info in the book though, a little dry in some parts.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:22 PM

The basic principles are the same. Just keep reading as many good basic investing books as you can. And really think about them.

Don't just skim. Really think deeply about each example. And compare the advice, similar or conflicting that you get from different authors.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:28 PM

I strongly suggest spending the $12 at amazon or overstock and ordering the newest edition with commentary by Jason Zweig (sp?) as it relates each chapter with 'modern' examples. I also think it is a great book to own as I am currently reading it for the second time and still getting a lot from it.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I strongly suggest ... the newest edition with commentary by Jason Zweig

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. I've read TII probably 4 or 5 times, and Zweig's would be an excellent one to do for a first-timer.
-web
Old 08-25-2005, 11:33 AM

I just finished Zweig's version. Good stuff. As a fun exercise, after you read the book, skim this forum and see how many posters praise Graham but then give advice that would sicken him. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2005, 04:49 PM

BG was the founder of value investing. The theory evolved into more advanced theories. The system i still use today is the CANSLIM system by william Oneil. Read the chapter on when to sell.