Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 05:48 PM

Default Re: Top 2 Pair on the Flop

Why oh why did you raise PF in MP1 with KJo? KJo is a fold / call hand for me, with the emphasis on fold. It's a trouble hand to say the least. It's so hard to tell if you have the best hand or not with a hand like KJo. What if the board comes K25 rainbow and you are heads up and villian bets? Is your K good, or is it beat by KQ, KK, AK, or AA? What about if the board comes J high? KJo is a trouble hand and I only play it in LP, usually after most everybody else folds. It's a downright horrible hand at a loose table, especially in EP and MP.

That said, why didn't you raise the turn? You capped the flop, why not raise the turn. If BB 3-bets the turn, THEN slow down, but not before then. I put BB on a wide number of hands that you have beat, including AK and K9. I don't think he has AA or KK since he didn't re-raise pre-flop. QT is a possibility, but let's find that out on the turn by raising. You don't have enough information to make that determination on the flop. You have to raise the turn to get a better idea as to where you are at.

Now, on the river our quiet CO suddenly raises this 3-heart board. Did he catch his runner-runner? Maybe. You did the right thing in calling. MP2 being a moron, I put him on Jx or 9x. BB's hand isn't so strong that he 3-bets. I'm guessing you had BB beat on the flop, and that he would have called your turn-raise had you made it.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why oh why did you raise PF in MP1 with KJo? KJo is a fold / fold hand for me in EP at a loose table

[/ QUOTE ]

amended the post [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2005, 07:24 PM

Only time you should consider raising preflop is if its folded to you and you're in LATE position IMO
Old 08-24-2005, 07:40 PM

PF - I don't usually raise KJo unless for deception. Just call.
FLOP- good.
TURN- I think you need to raise this. The flop action was scary and this card is connected, but raising here might tell you where you stand as well as protect. The straight draws are spotty but the flush draw is a concern. Is the thinking that raising doesn't protect because the pot is already too big? Even so, I'd rather risk one to get three more in there.
RIVER-looks like a tough break, but you have to call down, the pot is too big (I guess you don't have to, but I would.)
Old 08-24-2005, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Only time you should consider raising preflop is if its folded to you and you're in LATE position IMO

[/ QUOTE ]

that's fine. that is standard, "by the book" poker. no problem with that. there are other factors besides text book that cause me to consider and raise here, but not at the table OP described.