Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 11:44 AM

Default Re: MGM

There was an interest list for higher games but 4-8 and 1/2 nl was highest yesterday afternoon.

I'll try it again today after the Flamingo tourney...btw this is $55 buy-in 30 player max $5 for house and $2 for dealers...pays top 3. Low juice compared to elsewhere...should be fun.

I like MGM tables since they have that marble ring on edge...seems to allow the tables to stay cleaner. Also they have cup holders whereas Wynn for some reason thinks putting drinks on the felt is OK . The chairs at the Wynn get my vote as most comfortable though.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:11 PM

I played their for the first time last saturday after the UFC fight. The highest limit game they had going was 4/8 at the time. I joined the interest list for 6/12 and it eventually got going. Filled up pretty quick too because the room was packed after the fight and 6/12 was the only immediate seating.

I believe they also had 1/2, 2/5, and 5/10 NL running as well. However, if the highest limit game they can get going on a saturday night is 6/12 I doubt they ever do much higher. Oh, and their red chips are slight thinner than their blue chips which is annoying when stacking (was a +50BB night).
Old 08-24-2005, 12:44 PM

During the super magoo jambouree, a couple guys had over $1000 in $1 chips, with no problem. It's all about the pyramids, dude.

al
Old 08-24-2005, 12:46 PM

I agree somewhat. The games are possibly the easiest on the strip. Found my morning games to be actually just as good as the evening ones (which surprised me given that the number of drunks was substantially less)

However, the dealers on average were not up to par... a few good ones, but many average ones too. I blame shuffle machines in part. Many misreads of boards, not placing the side pots properly, saw many times when a player got away with stiffing a pot a few chips, bad table management in general, etc... I suppose, to be fair, it is a lot easier to remember the bad dealers, though.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:51 PM

what about the waitresses? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2005, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what about the waitresses? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Wynn and Bellagio are better (in that order).
Old 08-24-2005, 01:06 PM

Lets face the facts: MGM is a low-limit jungle. They'll never have the bigger games because the joint appeals to low-limit tourists and tv-wannabees... Comparing them to Bellagio and Wynn is pointless... Just curious to see if any of the newer rooms take the low limit approach...
Old 08-24-2005, 03:17 PM

I had a very limited experience of Vegas just based on my 2 week stretch out there (and during WSOP time so those 2 weeks were certainly a bit skewed).

but I would think on THAT end of the strip there could be plenty of demand for 6/12 and 10/20 games if they just pushed it more.

Just starting an interest-list and then saying 'well...nobody is even on the interest list for it' isn't enough.
I never join interest-lists....and i know there are others like me.
If they actively promoted it and said 'We are starting a brand-new 10/20 game...seats available now' they would get all kinds of interest there.
just my opinion.
but it's not like there's zero money on that end of the strip.

but I suspect MGM will remain a low-limit jungle because THAT IS HOW THEY SEE THEMSELVES.

With a little vision they could be much more.

Lots of people complain about the music from the nearby bar/club there.
I kind of dig it actually.
nothing like bad disco to liven-up the table at 2am.
but i generally like music in the background regardless (as long as it's not the Whitney Houston/Celine Dion crap that gets piped into the Gold Strike in Tunica...arrrrrrgh).
Old 08-24-2005, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Lots of people complain about the music from the nearby bar/club there.
I kind of dig it actually.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you on this.

I wish the playlist was longer than 45 minutes, but I was down with it regardless.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:43 PM

I didn't mind the music from the bar, either... didn't seem to notice it after a while... and I think the only time I did was that break-in for the times when they dance on the bar...

I was surprised a bit by the songs I heard on the main MGM floor while walking around, though.. e.g., John Mayer followed by Flaming Lips, followed by Nirvana...