Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Tip for 1/2 NL? (Warned!! Tipping: Don\'t read if you don\'t want)

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for hijacking my thread guys with your tipping philosphies & opinions on other's philosphies [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you expect anything else with a tipping thread? It's the same old bull$hit every time one of these gets started.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:17 PM

a buck per pot should do you just fine. im not a big fan of tipping more in big pots or none in small pots, a buck everytime is easier.

rj
Old 08-24-2005, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
She turns me to in shock and said, "You just won a huge pot! You have to give the dealer more than that!"

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the kind of thing that would really irk me. It's lame to stiff a dealer or be absurdly cheap (I'm speaking generally, not saying that you were cheap here), however a dealer doing this is completely inappropriate and that dealer would receive no tip from me whatsoever for the rest of that down.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:47 PM

I used to tip a lot more generously, but now I try to watch it because I play a lot of live poker and it really adds up over a year's time. I will tip $1 on any decent pot. If the pot is under $15 I won't tip. If the pot is really huge I will tip $2.
I don't think overtipping is necessary. If a dealer gets an average of $1 on every pot, or even 2 out of 3 pots they are doing just fine IMO.
I play about 25 hours of live poker a week. If I win 2 pots per hour and tip $2 instead of $1 per pot on average that would cost me an extra $2600 a year.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I win 2 pots per hour and tip $2 instead of $1 per pot on average that would cost me an extra $2600 a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is the case, then you shouldn't be playing poker, budget boy. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2005, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
She turns me to in shock and said, "You just won a huge pot! You have to give the dealer more than that!"

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the kind of thing that would really irk me. It's lame to stiff a dealer or be absurdly cheap (I'm speaking generally, not saying that you were cheap here), however a dealer doing this is completely inappropriate and that dealer would receive no tip from me whatsoever for the rest of that down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, part of my "game" involved being very chatty with this player. So I couldn't just ignore her when she made this comment. And arguing with her would have been a terrible move. So I had to give in and tip a yellow. I can't imagine a dealer would ever say this. I'd probably still tip $1/pot for the rest of the down. I feel weird tipping $0 even when the dealer sucks/is a jerk.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:13 PM

Just like in a restaraunt, I'll tip based on the service.

If the dealer is quick, handles the table and players well and has a strong knowledge of the rules, I'll tip more (maybe $2 even for like a $40 pot).

Any pot over $50, if the dealer is competent, gets $2. Anything over $100 is $3 or more.

This is my opinion, of course - everyone does what they want.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:49 PM

$1/Pot is pretty standard.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:53 PM

I tip on the way they deal and the atmosphere they help create. About two years ago I won about a 700 pot (1-2nl) and this "diva" with those big I hate white people hoop earings mumbled don't forget to help the dealers.( mind you i was tipping two dollars a pot up to that point) It takes a minute to get all the chip 150 or so chips and stack them, so while I was doing that the dealer was on pause staring at me before she would deal the cards. This dealer had a massive chip on he shoulder for some reason and so ( as I love akward situations) I just continued to stack taking about 3 or 4 miutes at this point she still hadn't delt so I stared at her until she looked away ( a good 10 seconds) From that point on I have never tipped her and she has been at my table another 50 or so times in the last year. I tell my friends not to tip her and anyone who I like at the table. I even paid one guy a five chip not to tip her. This might seem like a dick move. and yeah you would be right but God I hate when dealers expect it and have attitude.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:43 PM

General question: will you tip less if the rake is higher than normal. I guess this would probably refer to limit play. But say you are at a 4/8 game with a $4 rake compared to a $6 rake somewhere else?