Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 10:15 AM

Default Re: Try to get me to stay in school....

I have fine social skills and havhe no problem at all interacting with people. I just dont like hanging around stupid drunkards, so I usually dont. Smart drunkards are fine though. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2005, 10:19 AM

[/ QUOTE ] You should stay in school for social reasons, if nothing else. Hopefully you're not spending ALL your free time playing poker. You'll make some of the best friendships of your life when you're in college. And I promise you'll never be in a situation where there will be more of an abundance of attractive available girls then what you have while you're there. I wouldn't trade my college experience for anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really what college is about. Its an experience you don't want to miss.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have fine social skills and havhe no problem at all interacting with people. I just dont like hanging around stupid drunkards, so I usually dont. Smart drunkards are fine though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hot, drunk college chicks are +EV. Especially if they're stupid. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2005, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That all being said...here is my gameplan for the next few years...I am going to learn to play limit VERY well...this will be my schooling. I will ideally run up about 1 mil in the next 5 years or so before the internet goes down, if it ever does. With the 1 mil, I should be able to play b&m at a fairly high level and make it from there, if I must. If for some reason I see b&m isnt for me, I "think" I could go back and finish my degree and work a normal life. If I dont want to do that, I could invest my 1 mil and life off that. anyone see any problems with this? I would like to thank everyone for their help so far. I greatly appreciate it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Instead of making a gameplan for the next few years, make one for next year.

Make money, play lots of poker, buy a house, live on your own and pay for everything with poker money - see if you really enjoy the lifestyle your choosing.

Beyond that, good luck with your future and if you want one piece of solid advice, look on every buy and investment with EV and risk/reward in mind. No reason why you cant make a mill in 5 years if you're really earning that much, just try and have as much of that mill left over in assets at the end of it.

Phill
ps, 12 hours a day is a harsh grind. It will get to you long term.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:29 AM

I notmally play about 4 hours or so a day...12 is what I CAN do...not what I want to do.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:35 AM

It is very important that you have a career other than poker. I am gratefule that I finished school before I discovered on-line poker, b/c I can see how studying would be difficult. But you need to look at the big picture:
*you really need something to fall back on, or preferably a regular job, and poker as a lucrative hobbie
*getting any sort of loan may be difficult if you don't have a real job, unless you have years of tax returns that say you're a winning gambler
*HEALTH INSURANCE is very important and expensive
*Family - you will one day want a family and this life style is probably very unstable... do you want to tell your kids they can't go to camp b/c your bank roll is short?
*if you are a great poker player you will still have long periods where you lose and you will need dicipline to get through that. If you don't have the dicipline to get through college, you will probably have difficulty getting through difficult poker times (3.7gpa is great and you're half way through, you're so close... just finish, you'll be happy you did later I promise... even if you do go pro!

I recommend that you restrict your daily play until night time, and stay away from your computer during the day (i.e. don't stay home during the day, don't say I'll play just one before class... practice being disciplined.)

Good Luck!
Old 08-24-2005, 10:45 AM

When did you switch majors? Is psychology something your really enjoy, or did you just pick it because you thought it would be easier than engineering?

I'm currently an electrical engineering major and my worst grades are in the "easier" classes, pyschology, english, etc. This is mainly because I just don't find those subjects interesting and I'm not very motivated when it comes to studying those subjects. Is there a chance that your sudden lack of motivation could be a result of majoring in something you don't enjoy or is it just a general lack of motivation in all areas of study?
Old 08-24-2005, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Some things in life are hard...but I have found that you really dont have to do the hard stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]Some of the hardest things will be the most rewarding. And, sometimes the hardest things become the easiest things (because of the love and enthusiasm you have for them).

Also, think about what freedom means to you. The line from the old song "freedom means having nothing left to lose" has a lot of truth to it.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:59 AM

Cool, just checking. When I read the 12 hour thing I thought that was what you normally did. There is way too much to do (that does not involve stupid drunk people) at college to stay home all the time.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is very important that you have the option to have a career other than poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.