Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2005, 09:17 PM

Default Re: SB situation

[ QUOTE ]
it's a clear call.

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon. There's no way it's a clear *anything* without knowing the limper's standards and the BB's likelihood of defending.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:31 PM

I like the raise. It sure would be a shame if you let the BB and his J2o in for free and then got a flop like J72. I'm raising here for two reasons:
<ul type="square">[*]The BB is likely to fold absolute rags that could hit the flop harder than your hand.[*]You're not likely to be facing a stronger hand than yours from the limper, and you can get pretty good odds on a flop steal if you see an ace.[/list]
Old 08-23-2005, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the raise. It sure would be a shame if you let the BB and his J2o in for free and then got a flop like J72.

[/ QUOTE ]

Conversely, it sure wouldn't be a shame if you got a flop like J73. I hate that whole argument when we're talking limit hold 'em and we aren't losing our stack in one hand.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like the raise. It sure would be a shame if you let the BB and his J2o in for free and then got a flop like J72.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conversely, it sure wouldn't be a shame if you got a flop like J73. I hate that whole argument when we're talking limit hold 'em and we aren't losing our stack in one hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, except it's gonna be alot easier for him to get away from his loser than it will be for you to get away from yours (unless he's just a fish).
Old 08-24-2005, 01:34 AM

"unless he is a fish" should read "if he is weak-tight" I guess
Old 08-24-2005, 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, except it's gonna be alot easier for him to get away from his loser than it will be for you to get away from yours (unless he's just a fish).

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoopdeedoo. 2-pair vs. 1-pair arguments are inane. According to your logic, SB's raising range should be way wider than KJo.

I'm firmly in the limp corner here. Even fish have the capability of mimicking simple behaviors of good players. Rudimentary hand-reading kicks on the fish's part when SB raises, putting SB on some sort of high cards, and suddenly it's harder to push fish off a weak hand, and you don't have a hand you want to take to showdown unimproved. Limping suddenly gives you the potential to have any two in the deck, and fish will be more likely to muck nothing hands.