Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2005, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Clone may have been a bad word to use...

[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't really thinking in terms of an actual clone, more of your clone as a poker player. Someone who is the same skill level, plays the same, thinks the same... (someone who plays exactly like you)

-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

Not your fault that some people are so dense [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]. It's not like you posted this question on a freakin' science fiction site.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Which came first?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
+ rate you had been losing money at to get you back up to an average night.

[/ QUOTE ]
Explain your reasoning, please.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could be completely wrong but my thinking was that assuming your clone that is running good plays exactly the same way you were playing when running bad (and assuming that the cold streak was inversely proportional to the hot streak)you would be able to get back up to your true win rate for the night. Just a thought. I may have taken these assumptions for granted and I am not sure if the OP meant that at all.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I could be completely wrong but my thinking was that assuming your clone that is running good plays exactly the same way you were playing when running bad (and assuming that the cold streak was inversely proportional to the hot streak)you would be able to get back up to your true win rate for the night. Just a thought. I may have taken these assumptions for granted and I am not sure if the OP meant that at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

A cold "streak" is just a run of cards that happen to be worse than normal. There is no set hand limit for a streak. It could be 2 hands or 2 thousand hands. The cards don't know who you are. If you're having a cold streak, then having some one new sit at your computer who is "running good," does not mean they will keep running good. It doesn't mean they will start running bad, either. Each new hand has the same likely hood of being aces as the last hand did, no matter who you are. There is no reason to believe that you or any other person will run anything but normal at any given time.

Having someone play on your account who plays just like you but is on a hot streak, does not mean they will get different cards than you would have gotten.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A cold "streak" is just a run of cards that happen to be worse than normal. There is no set hand limit for a streak. It could be 2 hands or 2 thousand hands. The cards don't know who you are. If you're having a cold streak, then having some one new sit at your computer who is "running good," does not mean they will keep running good. It doesn't mean they will start running bad, either. Each new hand has the same likely hood of being aces as the last hand did, no matter who you are. There is no reason to believe that you or any other person will run anything but normal at any given time.

Having someone play on your account who plays just like you but is on a hot streak, does not mean they will get different cards than you would have gotten.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea I understand all of this. Perhaps I just misunderstood the OP or didn't express my idea in a clear way.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:17 PM

Actually I think I mostly misinterpreted the OP. You are right Ianco.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and assuming that the cold streak was inversely proportional to the hot streak

[/ QUOTE ]

You know what happens when you assume?
Old 08-23-2005, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and assuming that the cold streak was inversely proportional to the hot streak

[/ QUOTE ]

You know what happens when you assume?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha. I had a feeling someone would post that. I was thinking about it while responding.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:35 PM

At first, I thought your post was ridiculous ... implying that "streaks" in some way influenced the fall of cards for the next hand, and the next ...

But then, I think I understand what you (hopefully) meant. That is, "streaks" can affect one's confidence and playing ability.

A player on a 'cold streak' could very likely be tilting (subtlly or not). A player on a 'hot streak' could be playing with a high degree of confidence, thus exhibiting proper aggression, playing with a clear head, etc .....

So, in answer to your question:

[ QUOTE ]
You are in the middle of a cold streak. Halfway through a session in which you are losing, your clone who is running incredibly good takes over for you. What happens?

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose that the 'hot-streaking-clone' will be dealt the exact same cards you would have, but it's very likely that he would play them better and thus earn a slightly higher EV than you would have (for at least the short term).

Adam