Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2005, 04:07 PM

Default Re: Easy Cash Game Strategy

What's with these posts lately about super secret strategies to make EASY money at NLHE? I find it comparable to;

Take this pill for one month, lose 50 pounds!!!
You can have the body you want with this workout in just 2 minutes a day!!!
Work from home, earn $10,000 a month in just 15 minutes a day!!!

It's where we have gone as a society. I want it all. I want it now. I want it easy.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:08 PM

I've never tried the system but I did find the thread to be an interesting read.

The whole philosophy of Smasharoo's system seems to be based on the idea that people playing SSNL are stupid and will call all-in bets with hands like TPTK and 2-pair. The whole idea is to push whenever you hit a set or a nut flush and fold anything else. Most of the time everyone will fold to your massive overbet, but it only takes the occassional donk who's willing to call off his whole stack as a 4-1 underdog to more than make up for what you lose by not taking a more traditional line. Basically, stop trying to push your small edges and just try to maximize the number of collosal mistakes that players at these levels make. You could play KQs profitably, but it requires more thought and more skillful post-flop play. My sense from reading the FCP thread is that proponents of the system would say you're better off eliminating those close decisions and adding several more tables of this ultra-mechanical style.

When you play this style, every decision is 100% clear, there are no close plays, you'll hardly see any flops, you'll almost never go past the flop without already being all-in, etc. By playing that mechanically, you should be able to play at least twice as many tables as you'd be able to play if you were playing your standard game. In essence, don't waste your time on small +EV situations when that time could be better spent finding even greater +EV situations. As long as there are people out there who will call off their whole stack with mediocre hands to a nut-peddler, there's no point in messing around agonizing over every decision with your top pair trying to squeeze a couple of extra BBs out of someone. Just get the nuts, or close to it, and push. There are enough fish out there who will call no matter how bad the play might seem.

Sure, observant players will catch on and fold to your all-in every time, but they're not the targets of the system to begin with. And he pretty much admits that it won't work at the higher stakes.

Like I said, I've never tried this system, but I think he makes some interesting points.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:09 PM

Thanks for correcting my post. I definitely got my PT stats confused! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-23-2005, 04:11 PM

i was at around 7ptbb/100 with vpip/pfr 21/4 in shorthanded play for about 25k hands. i'd sit around wait for sets, raise AA-JJ preflop, re-raise with AA/KK, limp with 22-QQ when facing a raise, limp with suited connectors/1 or 2 gappers/suited broadway on the button/co. i'd increase my raising range if folded to me on the button/co. about once every 4 or 5 orbits i would raise with any two just to switch it up if my preflop raises and continuation bets were being respected. i was 4-tabling while doing this. it's not profit maximizing but the opponents weren't exactly intelligent. open pushing preflop with AA/KK isn't as profitable as playing good poker postflop under most table conditions.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This system will probably show a small profit in the smallest games. But it is still stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

echo
Old 08-23-2005, 04:12 PM

at lower stakes good poker isn't a requisite for playing winning poker. you just have to be less bad than your opponents.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:18 PM

One thing I just thought of is that this strategy would be perfect for programming a bot. No real analysis is needed and the rules are clear and straightforward. I would think you would see a proliferation of bots if this strategy proved it could make tons of $$$$$.

It may very well be successful at Micro Levels, but how long does one need to play to make a sizable bit of cash?

Does anyone have 10,000 or more hands on PT playing this strategy?
Old 08-23-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3/51 = .0588 = 5.88%. So roughly 1 out of 17.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, 3/51 is precisely 1/17 [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 08-23-2005, 05:41 PM

The odds of getting a pocket pair preflop are 1-16. The odds of flopping a set are 1-7.51
Old 08-23-2005, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only way this strategy works is if a majority of your opponents aren't paying attention to how you play.

[/ QUOTE ]

And since the SSNL games are known for having the most attentive players around, this can't possibly work. Yeah right.

I'm fairly certain this strategy would be profitable, much like Miller's strategy(small profit). However anyone with even the slightest understanding of the game could make alot more just playing poker. Not to mention such a system would be unbearably boring to play. JMO