Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-23-2005, 04:27 PM

Default Re: embarassed to be aggressive (and winning)

I would recommend reading "The Psychology of Poker." I think you will be able to relate to many of Dr. Al's ideas. The concept as I understand it is that the natural thing to do in a live poker game is to check and call. By doing this you are not disturbing people with nasty raises or re-raises, you are going along with the rest of the group, checking and calling like good donkeys should. Dr. Al explains that playing tight-aggressive poker is not really the natural behavior in this particular social setting (poker game), and many players will even resent you for it. If you want to win though, this is how you must play.
Personally, I have no problem whatsoever with my opponents resenting me, or even criticizing my play (hear it all the time). I don't view them as equals, their respect means nothing to me. I am strong and they are weak, I am a winner and they are losers, why ever feel embarassed in front of fools. If you are "running over the game" with aggressive play great, keep doing it, when you start getting more calls just change gears and tighten up for a while.