Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2005, 03:27 PM

Default Re: Easy Cash Game Strategy

It seems to work for Smasharoo over 700k hands. Duplicate threads going on this strategy...... See the Full Contact Poker forums for more on this strategy.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:34 PM

So you don't play KQo, QJo?
That seems too tight to me.
Are many winning players do this aslo (i.e. fold KQo preflop)?
Old 08-23-2005, 03:37 PM

I'll withhold judgment as whether it works in the long term until I see some PT stats, but I feel pretty safe saying that would not work as you move up levels. I would think at the $100 and $200 level, this play will win a lot of small pots (under $10) and lose big pots.

Maybe at the Micro level, this will work. I never spent much time in the micros so I can't be sure one way or the other.

This is nut peddling. It will be successful against beginners and weak (bad) players, but will not extract much value from anyone with a clue. Your VPIP will be less than 10%, your aggression factor will be minimal. When I see someone like that make a move, I stay clear unless I have the stone cold nuts.

IMO, if your play is predictable, then you will fail as you move up levels. I don't look down on anyone who plays at the Micro level, but anyone who is trying to make a buck is getting to the higher levels as soon as they bankroll and poker acumen dictate.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:39 PM

I wasnt to impressed about this system. Basically it is: Play AA-TT AK-AQ and sometimes AJ KQ and fold everything else. As long as you get your big bets called, fine. But why would a thinking player call big bets from a player who has folded 40 hands in a row?
And surely there are many many more hands than this that can be played profitably even with a short stack? Isnt folding AQs or 99 UTG a little too tigth?
Old 08-23-2005, 03:39 PM

I don't know about the profitability of just pushing AA/KK, and I do play some speculative hands as well, but I think previous posters have been too dismissive of "set mining" at 25-100NL tables. There's not much skill involved in this (or any) pure system, but I would be surprised if it didn't show a tidy profit in the long run.

"If you flop it (a set), they will pay."
Old 08-23-2005, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your VPIP will be less than 10%, your aggression factor will be minimal. When I see someone like that make a move, I stay clear unless I have the stone cold nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, your VP$IP will be below 10%, your PFR will be around 2%, but your aggression factor will be approaching infinity and will only be reduced from the times you call an all-in. This is a pretty good description of a nut peddler: TP pre-flop, aggressive post-flop, but does stupid sh*t like minraises or all-ins.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:46 PM

How such predictable plays can win at a reasonal table?
Good poker need mix things up and try to deceive opponents.

Isn't it too boring to only play pairs?

Does anyone know any calculator to calculate the percentage of pocket pairs preflop?
Old 08-23-2005, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is nut peddling. It will be successful against beginners and weak (bad) players, but will not extract much value from anyone with a clue.

[/ QUOTE ]

There it is.

I can see this strategy working at NL25 or NL50 and the softer live 1-2NL games. In truth, I play uber tight in live 1-2NL games (although I don't just push all-in every time I see aces) and it works magic against the weaker players. But I'm more than capable of adjusting my strategy when I enter pots against better players, and if you aren't capable of doing that, better players crush you.

When you play this way, you're basically flipping your cards over on the table. Against weak players, that doesn't matter, since they will marry their second best hands anyway. But better players will steer clear of medium pairs and high cards and stack you consistantly with their garbage low cards that crack your aces.

EDIT: I guess thats not really true, since if I'm reading this correctly, any time you see aces you just push all-in preflop. So, theoretically, any reasonable player which just never ever call you with anything less than aces. But if the strategy calls for making a raise preflop and pushing on the flop... yikes!

The bottom line is this. Any thinking player is going to make far more money playing higher limits using a real poker strategy. But for beginners learning the ropes, strategies like this one and Ed Miller's shortstack strategy can turn a profit at the smallest stakes, and at the same time begin to teach the player the basics of poker.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know any calculator to calculate the percentage of pocket pairs preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty simple math. You get a first card. There are now 51 cards in the the deck, three of which will give you a pocket pair.

3/51 = .0588 = 5.88%. So roughly 1 out of 17.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:00 PM

If you sit at a table with observant opponents for long enough, you will see a little less action.

On the other hand, the well will not dry up. For one thing, a good number of people (esp. multitablers), just aren't keeping track of each opponent. Maniacs get a lot more red flags than rocks (often to their benefit).

For another, even reasonable players struggle to lay down TPTK, two-pair, etc.

Is it a boring way to play? Fa sho, but I think it's more profitable than people on this board give credit for.

Full Disclosure: My VPIP: 15 (but PFR: 5)