Button ($36.60)
SB ($18.05)
adam74 ($25)
UTG ($21.10)
UTG+1 ($31.85)
MP1 ($11.90)
MP2 ($11.60)
CO ($13.55)

Preflop: adam74 is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls $0.25, CO calls $0.25, Button calls $0.25, SB completes, adam74 checks.

Flop: ($1.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $1.25</font>, adam74 folds, UTG folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds.

Final Pot: $2.75

Is this an easy fold? My hand looks like it has lots going on, but only 4 outs to the nuts - with a chance that one of those tens might be in the SB's hand.

No specific reads on the SB. My default assumption about players in these $25 games is that they are loose-passive, so my feeling is that the SB had me beat...whether he was betting with JTxx or, possibly, a higher set. I think if I'm going to play this, I have to raise here, but given that there were four other players still to act, all with a reasonable amount of money left, I thought passing was prudent.

So is this fairly straightforward, or is my hand/situation better than I think it is? Am I giving the SB too much credit?

What if I'd been on the button with this, and everyone between me and SB had folded?
Old 08-23-2005, 11:29 AM

Default Re: Bottom set, 2nd nut flush draw and gutshot to nut str8

i think you gave up much too easily. he almost surely didn't have you covered on all those angles. if he only had the bare straight you were looking very good.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think you gave up much too easily. he almost surely didn't have you covered on all those angles. if he only had the bare straight you were looking very good.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you would have raised? Wouldn't you have been worried about the four other players still to act?
Old 08-23-2005, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this an easy fold?

[/ QUOTE ]I don't think this is a fold at all. What do you put the SB on? JTxx for the nut straight, 2 pair plus nut flush draw?
Personally I'd give this a raise, maybe not a full pot raise since there are players to act behind you but you need to find out how strong the SB is. The raise might also make the hand heads-up against the SB and you'd have position.
If the SB reraises on the flop, you could fold if your read of him is pretty tight. Personally if all my money in on this flop I wouldn't see it as a disaster.

If you were on the button and everyone folded after the SB bet then there's nothing wrong with either raising the flop, or calling and seeing what happens on the turn.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:53 PM

You are a big favorite over a bare straight.

pokenum -o 8h 8d kd jh - 6c 7c td js -- 9h qh 8s
Omaha Hi: 820 enumerated boards containing 8s Qh 9h
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
Kd 8d Jh 8h 582 70.98 234 28.54 4 0.49 0.712
Js 7c 6c Td 234 28.54 582 70.98 4 0.49 0.288

SB has to have a good redraw to be a favorite here.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:57 PM

Bottom set on a coordinated board is not big deal.
#3 flush draw plus gut shot is no big deal.

Put them together and you have a fairly big hand. Raising may knock out a better flush draw and higher set, so is probably correct since you are a favorite against a naked straight.