Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2005, 11:37 PM

Default Limp reraise

party 15
TAG limps UTG. folds to me in CO with AKo, I raise. LP BB 3bets, TAG LRR.

I hadnt seen him open limp in an hour or so. How often does he have AA or KK?
Old 08-22-2005, 11:51 PM

Default Re: Limp reraise

Jake "the Snake" just submitted a wonderful post about this today, so just go back a few pages. He thinks it is about 1/3 of the time, and has PT stats to back it up..., but what does that matter. Based on clearly superior anecdotal evidence, I say it is about 99% [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].
Old 08-23-2005, 12:05 AM

I guess you would have to assess the odds of this player trying to make a move vs having a monster(and whether that monster situation includes QQ or AK). I think you have to call on the basis of the size of the pot and how much you have invested. Only if you have a bang on read that this player is only capable of this move with AA or KK could I see a fold. But if the range includes QQ, AK or other making a move hands 89s etc. you are getting 4 to 1 here on your money with a decent chance at showing down the best hand.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:12 AM

Call me kooky, but I'm just as worried about a loose/passive (I take it that's what you're saying) BB 3-betting me as I am about a TAG limp/capping from UTG.

There's no way I'm folding AKo preflop in a limit game, but if the flop doesn't hit me I'm out of there in a heartbeat. Even if it does hit me I'm treading carefully (unless it hits me to the tune of QJT).

EDIT: BTW, if that's me UTG and I do not have a loose/passive read on the BB (or especially if I do have a LAG read on him), then my capping range gets pretty big in this situation. Even more so if I have a read on you that says you're a solid player (and would be capable of folding a hand like AQ/AJ/KQs here). Against a LAG BB, I'd be looking to isolate with any pocket pair AA-77, maybe a little lower. So I don't think you can safely assume that UTG is holding AA/KK.