Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2005, 01:30 PM

Default 6 handed - optimal VP$IP and preflop raise %?

I've played my first 10K hands at the $3/$6 tables - 6 handed. My VP$IP is 40.4% and my preflop raise is 9.9%. BB/h: minus 0.77. Should I tighten up? Should I also raise more when enter the pot? The stats of many sucsesfull players in my database often show VP$IP circa 30% and Preflop raise circa 15%.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:35 PM

Default Re: 6 handed - optimal VP$IP and preflop raise %?

I'm no expert at this but I think yes, you should tighten up and yes you should raise more when you enter pots. In fact, the stats you post for winning players look about what I'd imagine. I am positive something in the archives will have these numbers posted. You should search them.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:36 PM

Try the Short Handed Forum
Old 08-22-2005, 01:50 PM

From my experience and what I've seen from shorthanded players, optimal 6 handed VPIP is around 25% to 30% with 25% being really tight. PFR about 15% to 20%. However, these numbers mean nothing if you don't know where they come from. Shorthanded is playing in situations where You are comfortable in and attacking profitable situations.

In your case, you are probably being a bit too loose, and playing in some situations that are not profitable. I think your VPIP should be slightly lower in 3/6 6max because of the size of the small blind. Don't let the frenzied pace of the game carry your own speed.

The PFR should be that high because there are many marginal but +EV situations that you must recognize and push. Yes, in general raise more when you enter the pot. But don't start raising just for the sake of getting your PFR to 15%+. You should gradually increase the PFR and raise in situations where you are comfortable and know how to extract the max value.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:13 PM

FWIW, i'm no expert, but i'm at like 27.5/19.5 in 25k hands at 3/6 6m.

Also, HUSH might be a better place to ask, though i'd search first as i'm sure this has been asked and answered there.

-d