Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2005, 03:42 AM

Default JTo 100-200 river bluff raise

here's another one. i have JTo on the button. a mediocre player limps mp, i flat call, sb calls, bb who is random/bad/clueless (reason i limped in preflop in the first place fwiw) raises, mp and i call, sb calls. 4 of us.

the flop is K75 rainbow. sb checks, bb bets, and when he does he's looking not so discreetly out of the corner of his eye at me. i take this as genuine nervousness about my presence in the hand and go ahead and raise when the mp folds. sb folds, bb thinks and calls.

the turn is a 9 giving me a double gutter. he checks, i bet and to my surprise he calls.

the river is a 7. he thinks and awkwardly donk bets, i raise.

did i get this one right and take it down? or am i just wasting everyone's time posting yet another losing hand i think i played well?
Old 08-22-2005, 05:21 AM

Default Re: JTo 100-200 river bluff raise

[ QUOTE ]
here's another one. i have JTo on the button. a mediocre player limps mp, i flat call, sb calls, bb who is random/bad/clueless (reason i limped in preflop in the first place fwiw) raises, mp and i call, sb calls. 4 of us.

the flop is K75 rainbow. sb checks, bb bets, and when he does he's looking not so discreetly out of the corner of his eye at me. i take this as genuine nervousness about my presence in the hand and go ahead and raise when the mp folds. sb folds, bb thinks and calls.

the turn is a 9 giving me a double gutter. he checks, i bet and to my surprise he calls.

the river is a 7. he thinks and awkwardly donk bets, i raise.

did i get this one right and take it down? or am i just wasting everyone's time posting yet another losing hand i think i played well?

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Lawrence
Old 08-22-2005, 05:27 AM

He could definitely have 88 or 66. The funny part is that it makes it easier for him to think about faking having a 7 if he was looking low already - like if he has AQ the idea of bluffing the paired 7 is less likely to pop into his head. But the fact that he just called the turn makes it pretty unlikely that he can beat a King, and it seems like he believes you.

So how bout it, if you know he has 88 on the river do you raise? I think you need to believe he can fold it to make this play.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1) You could very well have taken it down.

2) You are not wasting everyone's time.

3) I'm not sure you played it well. Need to know what do you mean by "bb who is random/bad/clueless". Does he play too aggro, too loose, too weak/tight?

~ Rick
Old 08-22-2005, 08:01 AM

Hi Mike
Hands like this one explain why you can't even beat the Party 5-10. I'm sure you're pretty good live though.
/NG
Old 08-22-2005, 09:02 AM

It's a horrible river bet from him unless he has a seven. Simply horrible; he's begging to be pushed off JJ or whatever.

Very creatively played, though I don't know what you do if he checks the river. Probably just give up. But I find this very impressive.

Wouldn't be too surprised if he called with a pair less than K's, but yes, I think you played it well and continue to establish superb table and forum images, even if the play is slightly -EV.

Actually I think the river play is definitely correct. The turn I'm not so sure about.

JimmyV
Old 08-22-2005, 09:07 AM

It's a horrible river bet from him unless he has a seven. Simply horrible; he's begging to be pushed off JJ or whatever.

Very creatively played, though I don't know what you do if he checks the river. Probably just give up. But I find this very impressive.

Wouldn't be too surprised if he called with a pair less than K's, but yes, I think you played it well and continue to establish superb table and forum images, even if the play is slightly -EV.

Actually I think the river play is definitely +EV. The turn I'm not so sure about.

JimmyV
Old 08-22-2005, 09:13 AM

Do horribly bad players fold on the riv for 1 bet in fairly large pots?
Old 08-22-2005, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

horribly bad players chase their pocket pair to the river hoping to hit a set, and then fold for one bet.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

horribly bad players chase their pocket pair to the river hoping to hit a set, and then fold for one bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

the guys who do this dont' bet the river.