Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2005, 02:00 AM

Default Re: AA fold on flop

I cant see you being ahead of many hands. Your best spot might be you against a pair and an OESD such as 910. I think a fold is fine, as many cards on the turn hurt you (ie. any 78910j6) This may sound like weak-tightedness. But i think you made the right play.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Think about all the hands that might be willing to put in three-bets or more on this hand:

1. Any T.

2. Any 9.

3. Any worse overpair.

4. Two pair hands which you can counterfeit.

5. Sets and straights and ugly stuff like that.

You do not have nearly enough information to fold yet. Many flop bets simply mean very little. I basically don't even start to think about folding overpairs until significant action on the big bet streets suggest I'm in trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an excellent post which, I think, covers pretty much every reason why folding your aces on the flop is bad. A good, aggressive player will use the flop to define his hand; the raise & 3-bet after you lead the flop does not mean your aces are no good. It's very feasible that MP1 could be raising (correctly) with something like KTs (OESD, 2 overs, maybe a backdoor flush) or TT, while the 3-bet is something as innocuous as a J9s trying to protect his hand by pushing you & the rest of the field out. If so, it worked beautifully in this case.

Just because you raised UTG+1 & led the flop does not mean that anyone's giving you credit for an overpair, let alone AA.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Think about all the hands that might be willing to put in three-bets or more on this hand:

1. Any T.

2. Any 9.

3. Any worse overpair.

4. Two pair hands which you can counterfeit.

5. Sets and straights and ugly stuff like that.

You do not have nearly enough information to fold yet. Many flop bets simply mean very little. I basically don't even start to think about folding overpairs until significant action on the big bet streets suggest I'm in trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an excellent post which, I think, covers pretty much every reason why folding your aces on the flop is bad. A good, aggressive player will use the flop to define his hand; the raise & 3-bet after you lead the flop does not mean your aces are no good. It's very feasible that MP1 could be raising (correctly) with something like KTs (OESD, 2 overs, maybe a backdoor flush) or TT, while the 3-bet is something as innocuous as a J9s trying to protect his hand by pushing you & the rest of the field out. If so, it worked beautifully in this case.

Just because you raised UTG+1 & led the flop does not mean that anyone's giving you credit for an overpair, let alone AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

In fact, many of the small stakes donks will automatically "put you on AK" whenever you do this.

I'm half-kidding, but Harv's point is good. You have really not shown all that much strength yet, certainly not anything that wouldn't be shown with a hand like AK. Therefore, don't give your opponents' bets too much credit... yet.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:49 AM

Don't like the fold. Although the board is ver coordinated,opponents may be betting the draw or 2 pair.
My plan here is to call the flop, and check out the turn. If its still crazy on the turn it might be time to fold, but if its a checkfest then I may even be inclined to bet, not sure though I'd have to be there.

JT [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2005, 05:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this is true, but we showed a lot of aggression PF, and our oppents should realize that (even if they are donks). ON paper I might fold, but in the heat of battle, I'd peel

[/ QUOTE ]
We showed one extra bet worth of aggression and they were so impressed by it that they all cold-called.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:44 AM

they almost always put u on Ak so they can tell themselves their call downs are good.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:07 AM

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] always sad to see AA not win, unless i am playing against them [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]